RE: [BIONT-DSE] Inclusion versus exclusion criteria

> We perform a more simplistic set difference wherein we first find all
> patients that satisfy the inclusion criteria and then exclude
> patients that satisfy the non-negated exclusion crtieria. Sorry for
> the terse explanation, we describe our methodology in detail in this
> draft appearing in the proc. of ISWC 07 ( http://
> domino.watson.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/papers/
> BDCB732D647E2547852572EB0054C912/$File/rc24265.pdf )

[VK] I think the above implementation is logically equivalent to the closed
world assumption.

> Daniel Rubin wrote:
> > Likewise, making any generalized statements about when open- and
> > closed-world reasoning are appropriate in health care is dangerous--
> > one must be very specific about the context and specific case to
> > assess whether the assumption is valid.

[VK] One way of looking is what is the downside impact? In the current use case,
the worst which could happen is that the patient is included in the population
for clinical trial enrollment. In any case, as Landen pointed out,
identification and enrollment are two different processes and hopefully the
patients will undergo a medical check up before actually undergoing the
clinical trial protocol.

---Vipul

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and properly dispose of this information.