Re: [COI] Clinical Observations Interoperability Telcon December 18, Presentation of HL7/ RIM by Dan Russler

Hi Lee,

It would be great to have you join the project...Go ahead and place your
name in the list of participants (as well as anyone else who is interested).

1) Regarding the reference you cited below from 2000: it seems
"urn:oid:<OID goes here>" was proposed then.

I'd have to ask Alan if this would be current recommended practice?

2) Regarding RDF and instances...RDF in the context of a database schema
is best for describing instances of resources on the web, since a
database table can scale to such large sizes. Other techniques, such as
OWL, are best for describing abstract relationships that are more static
than dynamic. That's not to say that there is not some overlap...smaller
sets of instance data or large sets of static relationship data.

3) Regarding new OWL reasoners: Not a new OWL reasoner, but an OWL
reasoner with extended reasoning capabilities, i.e. able to reason
across healthcare and life sciences data.

Dan

Lee Feigenbaum wrote:

> [...]
>> the presentation on Dec 18. I'm hoping that questions asked will come
>> from people who have read the link:
>>
>> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/ClinicalObservationsInteroperability/RIMRDFOWL.html
>>

>> (note...It has been recommended I add pictures to the text in this
>> link...sorry they are not done yet)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dan Russler
>

> Hi Dan,
>
> I've only recently been following the COI effort, though I'm hoping to
> start participating in the calls regularly and help contribute to the
> use case demonstration(s)/prototype(s). I have a few questions about
> the content in the wiki page. The "Outcomes" section says the following:
>
> """
> Based on these assumptions, this sub-project will deliver two artifacts:
>
> 1) A set of "OID-based RDF Triples" that are used to directly describe
> resources HL7 RIM-based objects identified by OID's.
>
> 2) An OWL-based artifact that describes the relationships between the
> array of PREDICATEs and OBJECTs found in "OID-based RDF Triples" for
> HL7 RIM-based objects.
>
> This sub-project will then combine artifacts with other sub-projects
> in an attempt to identify the assertions that are coherent (exactly
> semantically equivalent) and those that are not coherent (unique
> assertions or assertions that are not exactly semantically equivalent).
>
> Finally, the challenges of creating useful OWL-based reasoners will be
> addressed. The specific challenge is an OWL reasoner that can reason
> across a large set of assertions from multiple ontologies in order to
> locate the available healthcare or life science web resources without
> returning too many or too few resource locations.
> """
>
> I haven't worked much myself with OIDs, and not at all in RDF-land.
> Does http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3001.txt describe current practices
> for using OIDs as URIs (URNs in this case)? Basically urn:oid:<OID
> goes here>?
>
> When you say that one of the outputs will be a set of OID-based RDF
> triples, do you mean it will be an RDF vocabulary for the HL7 RIM? Or
> do you mean it will be RDF representing instance data that fits into
> the HL7 RIM? Your point 2) describes creating an ontology, so I wasn't
> sure if 1) was talking about vocabulary or instance data.
>
> I'm not an OWL-reasoner guy myself, but I was surprised to see that
> one of the outputs of this project is expected to be a new OWL
> reasoner. Is that really what's meant by the last paragraph quoted
> above? How would the requirements of this reasoner differ from
> existing OWL reasoners?
>
> thanks and I'm looking forward to being more involved going forward,
> Lee
>

>> Kashyap, Vipul wrote:
>>
>>> The next Telcon will be held on December 18th, 11:00am - 12:00pm
>>>

>>> Phone
>>>

>>> +1 617 761 6200, conference 24668 ("BIONT")

>>> OR
>>> http://ircatwork.com <http://ircatwork.com/>,
>>> Server: irc.w3.org:6665
>>> Channel: #hcls