Re: [COI] Clinical Observations Interoperability Telcon December 18, Presentation of HL7/ RIM by Dan Russler

Dan Russler wrote:
> All,
>
> It will be really helpful to read the text in this wiki link before the
> presentation on Dec 18. I'm hoping that questions asked will come from
> people who have read the link:
>
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/ClinicalObservationsInteroperability/RIMRDFOWL.html
>
> (note...It has been recommended I add pictures to the text in this
> link...sorry they are not done yet)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan Russler

Hi Dan,

I've only recently been following the COI effort, though I'm hoping to
start participating in the calls regularly and help contribute to the
use case demonstration(s)/prototype(s). I have a few questions about the
content in the wiki page. The "Outcomes" section says the following:

"""
Based on these assumptions, this sub-project will deliver two artifacts:

1) A set of "OID-based RDF Triples" that are used to directly describe
resources HL7 RIM-based objects identified by OID's.

2) An OWL-based artifact that describes the relationships between the
array of PREDICATEs and OBJECTs found in "OID-based RDF Triples" for HL7
RIM-based objects.

This sub-project will then combine artifacts with other sub-projects in
an attempt to identify the assertions that are coherent (exactly
semantically equivalent) and those that are not coherent (unique
assertions or assertions that are not exactly semantically equivalent).

Finally, the challenges of creating useful OWL-based reasoners will be
addressed. The specific challenge is an OWL reasoner that can reason
across a large set of assertions from multiple ontologies in order to
locate the available healthcare or life science web resources without
returning too many or too few resource locations.
"""

I haven't worked much myself with OIDs, and not at all in RDF-land. Does
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3001.txt describe current practices for using
OIDs as URIs (URNs in this case)? Basically urn:oid:<OID goes here>?

When you say that one of the outputs will be a set of OID-based RDF
triples, do you mean it will be an RDF vocabulary for the HL7 RIM? Or do
you mean it will be RDF representing instance data that fits into the
HL7 RIM? Your point 2) describes creating an ontology, so I wasn't sure
if 1) was talking about vocabulary or instance data.

I'm not an OWL-reasoner guy myself, but I was surprised to see that one
of the outputs of this project is expected to be a new OWL reasoner. Is
that really what's meant by the last paragraph quoted above? How would
the requirements of this reasoner differ from existing OWL reasoners?

thanks and I'm looking forward to being more involved going forward,
Lee