RE: Follow up: Clinical Observations Interoperability Telcon @ Tue Oct 30

From: Forsberg, Kerstin L <Kerstin.L.Forsberg@astrazeneca.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 22:20:15 +0100
To: "Alan Ruttenberg" <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, "Kashyap, Vipul" <VKASHYAP1@PARTNERS.ORG>
Cc: <public-hcls-dse@w3.org>, "Stanley Huff" <Stan.Huff@intermountainmail.org>, "Oniki, Tom (GE Healthcare, consultant)" <Tom.Oniki@ge.com>

> [AR] I note that SDTM has places where one uses NCI Thesaurus,
> which is, for a large part, a domain model.

Kerstin: What part of NCI Thesaurus would you say is a domain model? My understanding is that Barry would refer to it as a "concept system" and not as a domain model / ontology of real world of entities/phenomenon 1)

The way I see that CDISC have used picked concepts from different concept hierarchies in NCI Thesaurus to construct controlled terminologies are also quite confusing. See for example the examples I list in my previously posted slides http://www.w3.org/2007/11/NCIt_and_CDISC_CT.ppt.

1) http://ontology.buffalo.edu/concepts/ConceptsandOntologies.pdf

Regards
Kerstin