Re: DSE TC, Friday May 25

One of the features of Exhibit is faceted browsing--the ability to
narrow down a collection of things by various dimensions in no
predefined order. I'm wondering how faceted browsing can be usefully
integrated with the hierarchical view that you want.

One way is that the hierarchy is a facet itself. For example, if what
the exhibit is showing are patient records, then a hierarchical facet
might be about geographical locations of those records:

    Massachusetts (37)
       Clinic A (12)
       Clinic B (25)
    Ohio (28)
       Clinic C (16)
       Clinic D (12)

Selecting Massachusetts would show all 37 records in Massachusetts, 12
from clinic A and 25 from clinic B.

Another way of integrating faceted browsing with the hierarchy is that
the hierarchy visualizes the data being browsed. (This is probably what
you meant originally, but without faceted browsing.) So, since I don't
know much more about clinical data stuff, I'll give an example about
artists and the hierarchy is about their influences on one another's style:

    Artist A masters techniques X and Y; influences
       Artist B masters techniques X and Z; influences
          Artist D masters technique Z
       Artist C masters techniques Y; influences
          Artist E masters technique Y; influences no other artist
    Artist F masters techniques X and Z; influences
       Artist G masters technique Z; influences no other artist

Now if you use the "technique" facet and pick only "technique Z", then
the hierarchy is reduced to

    Artist B masters techniques X and Z; influences
       Artist D masters technique Z
    Artist F masters techniques X and Z; influences
       Artist G masters technique Z; influences no other artist

showing only artists who know technique Z. The ability to view data in a
hierarchy and yet filter that hierarchy on-the-fly is pretty new and I
wonder if that's of any use to you.

David