RE: Tomorrow's DSE TC

Hi Eric,
hope we manage to find a new asap for a TC, see another email regarding
avalibility.

Here some other comments:

- Glad to see that you have met Wayne Kubick, the CDISC/SDS (SDTM) team
leader.

- You also mentioned BRIDG: Yes, I think we should discuss potential links
to the HL7 BRIDG work. (A very good overview of BRIDG as a webcast can be
found at bettermanagement.com,
http://www.bettermanagement.com/seminars/seminar.aspx?l=13763). My
spontaneous comments on it is that the intention of BRIDG is very good: "To
define implementation-independent domain semantics, To uncover the myriad of
semantic ambiguities present in the complex domain of clinical research".
However, I think they may have got lost in trying to do backward UML
modelling starting from existing data exchange standards.

- I also wanted to highlight something I read in the last TC in the overall
HCLS group http://www.w3.org/2006/10/12-HCLS-minutes.html: > CDISC have no
support for biomarkers

I don't think that is a correct statement:

	CDISC provides "... a general framework for describing the
organization of information collected during human and animal studies. The
model is built around the concept of observations, which consist of discrete
pieces of information collected during a study."  So far, the model has been
applied for 20+ different so called domains of observations like Vital
Signs, Microbiology, Pharmacokinetic, and more to come. However, with the
fundamental model SDTM provide of qualified and identified observations any
type of observations on subjects can be specified even though CDISC has not
yet provided a data exchange domain for it.

	However, so far CDISC have only considered implementations for
tabulated datasets for exchange per clinical study (as SAS format, and later
on in XML using CDISC's general messaging format).

	In the Drug Safety and Efficacy task force we will put a semantic
web perspective on the model and propose an open ended RDF implementation to
ensure that observations become recombinant cross clinical studies applying
ontologies for different types of observations.

When I read definitions of the broad term "biomarkers" such as this one:
	"A biomarker is some measurable factor that is specifically
associated with a particular medical condition." or "A biochemical feature
or facet that can be used to measure the progress of disease or the effects
of treatment."

I do interpret "measurable factor" and "biochemical feature or facet" as
"observations". Would be interesting to hear your point of view.

Hope to talk to you soon
Kerstin