Re: Multi-layered Knowledge Representations for Healthcare (was RE: An argument for bridging information models and ontologies at the syntactic level)

From: Matt Williams <matthew.williams@cancer.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:59:25 +0100
To: dan.russler@oracle.com
CC: Samson Tu <swt@stanford.edu>, "Kashyap, Vipul" <VKASHYAP1@PARTNERS.ORG>, "Elkin, Peter L., M.D." <Elkin.Peter@mayo.edu>, public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org, public-hcls-coi@w3.org

Dear All,

This is meant as a friendly comment, and perhaps a comment on the need
for further work. FWIW, I'm a UK based Oncology Reg. (can't translate to
US terms - sorry) just coming to the end of a PhD in CS. The PhD was
peripherally involved with ontologies, and I have edited OWL files by
hand, so while I'm not an expert, neither am I a novice.

I can't follow this discussion. I can't follow the terms, and I
certainly can't follow they way they are layered on top of each other.

I have no (well, maybe a little) doubt that this complexity is
necessary, but in order to engage a wider (and I don't count as a very
wide) clinical audience, we will need a better way of explaining and
presenting it. I don't know what that is, but I'm fairly sure its
necessary.....

Matt