Re: An argument for bridging information models and ontologies at the syntactic level

From: Samson Tu <swt@stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:45:02 -0700
Cc: public-hcls-coi@w3.org
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

On Apr 3, 2008, at 7:56 PM, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:

> OK, we disagree on this point. I'd just point out that, if you are
> interested in working with HL7 RIM or BRIDG, you have a conceptual
> mismatch with them.
> [VK] I do not view it as a conceptual mismatch as I can get Snomed-
> CT the terminology by specifying a transformation on Snomed-CT the
> information model.
Perhaps you can elaborate on your idea of SNOMEDCT the information and
what kind of transformations are involved to get SNOMEDCT the
terminology.

> If your Acute MI is a subclass of Observation/Problem, then
> instances of "Acute MI" class are observations of Acute MI, not
> instances of the disease MI. An "observation" does not have
> severity, location, and so on. You lose the ability to talk about
> properties of the things in the world.  An information model refers
> to codes not because of implementation concern, but because
> component parts of informational entity are also informational
> entities, IMHO.
> [VK] Would like to separate the issue of incorrect modeling from the
> issue of including class analogs of terminological codes into an
> information model in general.
> As far as severity, location, etc are concerned, these could be
> implemented as qualifiers to the observations as proposed in the
> Clinical Element Model approach by Stan Huff et. al.
> That said, the issue is not that of accuracy in modeling as I used
> Acute MI as an example. was proposing an information architecture
> where we create a common framework to model and perform inference on
> information models and terminologies.

Several years ago, I tried to formulate the Clinical Element Model as
an ontology without any success. I came to see it as a very flexible
data structure for encoding information. If you have better luck
formulating it as an ontology, I'd like to know about it.

Thank you.

Samson