Re: [Hardware Based Secure Services IG] some topics to discuss

Dear Virginie, all,

Unfortunately, I can't attend either the conf call tomorrow (I'm in
another call), nor the workshop in London (I will be in Singapore),
though a colleague may be able to attend.

I think I'm coming at this from a slightly different direction to the
rest of you - which I hope is a good thing and which is why I joined the
Community Group.

My interest is in the digital hardware implementation of security
functions: PUFs, physical detection of attacks (anomaly detection),
hardware trojans etc. I don't, however, really want to get into crypto
hardware per se, as that's already an extremely busy area. Defending
such h/w against side-channel attacks is, however, relevant.

The reason I'm interested in this Community Group is that there seems to
be a lot of work on, say, PUFs but without real thought as to use cases.
On the other side, I'm not quite sure what you mean by a hardware token
- is it a hardware implementation of a software algorithm/key/identity,
or is it something that is unique and specific to one instance of a chip
or an IoT mote? I realise that details of the actual h/w implementation
are out of the scope of the WG, which is fair enough and not my point.
What is relevant, however, is understanding what h/w based security can
deliver and conversely, what h/w designers should be trying to achieve.

I'm not sure how this fits into the conversation, but I hope it's useful.

Best wishes

Mark

On 20/04/2016 10:52, GALINDO Virginie wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I put together a list of topics we should discuss in the Community Group.
>
> This list is based on the different discussions I had in the last two
> years around the integration of secure services and is available here :
>
> https://github.com/w3c/websec/wiki/hardware-based-secure-services-:-topics-for-the-workshop
>

> Please do not hesitate to enrich, challenge, improve by commenting on
> this list.
>
> Regards,
>
> Virginie

> This message and any attachments are intended solely for the
> addressees and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized
> use or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
> E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable
> for the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the
> intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the
> sender.
> Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this
> transmission free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for
> damages caused by a transmitted virus.

Professor Mark Zwolinski
Electronics&  Electrical Engineering Research Group
Electronics&  Computer Science           Tel. (+44) (0)23 8059 3528
University of Southampton                Fax. (+44) (0)23 8059 2901
Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK                 Email.  mz@ecs.soton.ac.uk
                               http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/people/mz