POWDER + GRDDL + RDF/XML

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:05:17 +0000
To: david.booth@hp.com, "public-grddl-wg@w3.org" <public-grddl-wg@w3.org>
CC: Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org>

David,

I suspect it would be helpful to the POWDER WG if we could agree what we
agree on, and what we disagree on. Here is a straw man:

We agree:
- the POWDER format should be heavily constrained, to allow easy
processing of operational semantics by an XML app
- the POWDER format should not be unconstrained RDF/XML
- the full formal meaning of a POWDER document should most easily be
accessed by use of GRDDL
- to permit adding arbitrary metadata, some part of a POWDER document
should be defined in terms of
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#start
(most probably one of nodeElement or nodeElementList)
- the meaning of any RDF/XML included in the POWDER document should be
consistent with the GRDDL result.

We disagree:
- whether a powder document as a whole should match the nodeElement
construction of RDF/XML)
- whether the powder document should be served as RDF/XML or as XML.

We have not yet finish understanding the differences in opinion
concerning entailment relationships.

In my view the agreements above are much more extensive and important
than the disagreements.