See also: IRC log, agenda
HarryH: There is some interest in
pursuing certain things...
... such as XSLT for microformats,
... and possibly some good ideas for WSGI mapping.
HarryH: Update on Atom?
danja: There isn't a transformation that's quite ready yet.
danja: I'm thinking of
backporting Henry Story's XSLT 2 to XSLT 1.
... One of the problems is that you can have multiple atom:entry elements with the same atom:id, which would be lost in RSS.
... Everything that wouldn't map to something obvious like Dublin Core seems to require a custom vocab (as opposed to RSS).
... There are also questions about how to deal with Atom's extensibility.
... Complex extensibility may need to be skipped.
Harry: Huge political issues?
danja: I'd be worried about a
translation to RSS as it might be misinterpreted as "use RSS
... I don't think it's a huge issue.
<Zakim> DanC, you wanted to get sync'd
<HarryH> ACTION: [CONTINUES]danja and john-l to test and see if any XSLT is mature enough to add to ATOM namespace doc and has proper licensing (W3C Software license), as well as canvass all candidate XSLT authors for their opinion on ATOM/RSS 1.0 namespace. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/09/05-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action01]
<Zakim> john-l, you wanted to toss in his $.02
<DanC> (questions like whether a GRDDL txform for Atom should support round-tripping show that this task is big enough to merit its own use-cases/requirements document, meeting series, etc.)
DanC: XG for talking about Atom
... CCF, Talis, and Henry's employer, possibly.
<danja> (Henry Story works for Sun - I'm guessing they're w3c members)
<HarryH> next meeting?
DanC: The rec is in the hands of
the director, but the director's this amorphous blob...
... Groups should continue to meet for ~ 6 months after Rec.
... Those meetings should be scheduled, but not necessarily frequent.
DanC: I recommend keeping the 12 September meeting.
<HarryH> RESOLVED: Meeting Sept. 12th scribe Chime
DanC: Yay, we have a GRDDL service!
HarryH: Should we push to hook that up to the HTML validation service?
DanC: Has anyone tried to run the whole test suite against this thing?
danja: I think I've blogged about it, but I could always write more.
DanC: The people who want GRDDL know they want GRDDL.
HarryH: Useful for advertising
the GRDDL service.
... Also convenience.
chimezie: Both human readable and machine readable data in one place.
DanC: More detail?
I have a crazy one: automatically returning validity reports.
DanC: Dopplr links up friends who are traveling. When signing up for these services, they can glean data from your previously existing microformats instances.
<danja> (dopplr built by Matt Biddulph - has done semwebishness in the past - think he was involved in the BBC catalogue RDF exposure)
DanC: I think it would be cool if
the RDF validator had GRDDL built-in.
... So you could point it at a web page and validate its RDF directly.
HarryH: New stuff from the XHTML WG, URI forthcoming...
What prevents folks from GRDDLing XHTML using the XML declaration mechanism? Simply the desire to have XHTML validity?
DanC: We object; GRDDL doesn't allow any wiggle room, and the syntax has been stable for a long time.
<HarryH> ACTION: HarryH to tell XHTML2 WG to not change syntax [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/09/05-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action03]
DanC: You can't point to a profile via that mechanism.
chimezie: Yes, using the XML mechanism would not be compatible with XHTML 2.
<chimezie> I don't think we can fight the good fight in all the relevant specs, but people *will* decide for themselves if validity is more important thatn having useful metadata
<DanC> (the systems guys fixed the chacl latency, FYI.)
chimezie: It wouldn't be
... But I think sidestepping validity will happen if they really need RDF.
<HarryH> ACTION: [CONTINUES] Chime to comment to XHTML2 comment list about preserving head/@profile re GRDDL and backwards-compatibility. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/09/05-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action04]
And of course, people can always expand the definition of validity by imposing a slightly broader schema.
<DanC> (oops; can we talk about ACTION: DanC to remove base param from online GRDDL service and home2rss.xsl ?)
<DanC> ACTION: DanC to get GRDDL service to offer text/n3 and text/plain for turtle [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/09/05-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action05]
DanC: What happens when we run
the W3C home page through the GRDDL service?
... seems like home2rss.xsl is working in that case.
<HarryH> ACTION: [DONE] DanC to remove base param from online GRDDL service and home2rss.xsl [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/09/05-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action06]
<HarryH> Send me more tutorials and links
<HarryH> Simone, logo update?
<Simone> Simone: not also, so we are waiting from W3C comm team for all Semantic Web logos
<DanC> Simone, I talked with Ian Jacobs about semantic web logs and the SemWeb Ed/Outreach IG... I can't remember the details.
<DanC> ah... so the comm team has the ball...
<DanC> is there a due date?
<Simone> Simone: I've talked with benjamin but there are no news about dates and/or Time
<DanC> you say "we are waiting"; waiting until when?
<DanC> benjamin = Ben Adida?
<Simone> Simone: no, Benjamin from SWEO
<Simone> Simone: he also edited all wiki pages for Semweb Logos
<DanC> ah... Benjamin Nowack
<Simone> and GRDDL WG logo proposal are on wiki page
<Simone> Simone: @DanC: yes, he
<DanC> ok, thanks
<Simone> Simone: if there are news I'll mail the list
danja: I've received a response from the DC folks, which I've posted to the list.
<danja> re. GRDDL & DC