Re: GRDDL Profiles in Microformat creators

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 14:30 +0000, Brian Suda wrote:
> My other action[1] this week was to contact the Microformats folks
> about getting Profile attributes built into the creator-o-matics[2].
>
> I had a look at the creators and have some good news and bad news.
>
> The bad news is that the creators only make HTML snippits for pasting
> into other HTML content. Therefore the creators do NOT have the <body>
> or <head> elements where we would need to add the profile attribute.

Yeah; that's an unsolved problem...

issue-tx-element: is there a way to push the grddl:transformation
attribute down from the document element to individual elements without
breaking the chain of authority?
http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#issue-tx-element

> The good news is that the code is in the HG repository[3] which i have
> access too. I CAN make a note on the page that says something like "Be
> sure to include this profile attribute in the head element ..."
> "what's a profile? [link here]" and/or "what is grddl? [link here]"

I think that's a reasonable idea; definitely "what's a profile?"
rather than "what is GRDDL?" The answer to "what's a profile?"
can have links to GRDDL and the microformat/RDF faq.
 http://microformats.org/wiki/faqs-for-rdf

Another idea: how about adding a check-box for "make a whole
HTML document, not just a snippet" and including the profile
for free there?

> I can go ahead and add those into the creators, then email the staff
> to see if they accept/modify/rollback the changes to take it to the
> live site.
>
> #1) any suggestions about the wordsmithing?
> #2) i could only find the following profiles:
> - hCard profile: http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns.html (which doesn't
> actually have an XMDP profile, but that is fixable)

The profile URI shouldn't have a .html on the end.
The vcard/ns namespace document doesn't have a GRDDL
profileTransformation link yet; if you can add one while
you're doing this, great! Meanwhile, for XTech, I think
Edd is using http://www.w3.org/2006/03/hcard , which
is already GRDDL-happy... yes; he's using
 <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/hcal
http://www.w3.org/2006/03/hcard">

Please update http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-profile if you
make http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns GRDDL-happy.

As to XMDP, I don't feel much obligation to use it as opposed
to other HTML markup stuctures for profiles. XMDP is not really
a product of the "pave the cowpaths" microformats process.

> - hCalendar profile: http://w3.org/2002/12/cal/hcal (which returns an
> empty RDF statement)

empty? Perhaps you need to view source? It's not empty:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/hcal">
  <grddl:profileTransformation rdf:resource="glean-hcal"/>
</rdf:Description>

That was the shortest path to GRDDL-happiness; for human
follow-your-nose purposes, there should be an HTML representation
too; I just haven't gotten around to it. I wonder if somebody
else is interested to cook one up.