  • From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 22:33:34 +0000
  • Subject: Call for Exclusions: GRDDL ** Please read special instructions **
  • To: public-grddl-wg@w3.org
  • Cc: member-cfe@w3.org
Dear Advisory Committee representative,

This is a W3C Patent Policy Call for Exclusions for the following
Recommendation Track document:

- Gleaning Resource Descriptions from Dialects of Languages (GRDDL)
  (http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/),
  exclusion opportunity ending on 2 August 2007

This specification was produced by the GRDDL Working Group.

The GRDDL Working Group published the First Public Working Draft
of GRDDL 1.0 on 24 October 2006. Per the W3C Patent Policy, there
should have been a Call for Exclusions on that date declaring
that Participants had 150 days to exclude essential claims (per
section 4.1 of the policy). However, due to a bug in the system
that we use to implement the Patent Policy (known as IPP), we did
not send a Call for Exclusions at that time. We discovered this
bug on 2 March 2007 (and fixed it). We apologize for the
inconvenience caused to the group due to this bug.

In order to ensure that we are following the W3C Patent Policy by
giving all Participants an exclusion opportunity of 150 days, we
are therefore starting this exclusion period that will last, by
default, until 2 August 2007.

Fortunately, it is possible for the group to end the exclusion
period before then. As described in the W3C Patent Policy FAQ
(question 25 [3]), it is possible to end an exclusion period
early by securing agreement from all Advisory Committee
Representatives of Members participating in a group. We have
created a form for collecting those agreements and urge you to
reply in order to help the GRDDL Working Group advance GRDDL
to Recommendation status in a timely fashion:

  http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/39407/grddlexcl/

The GRDDL Working Group published GRDDL as a Last Call Working
Draft on 2 March 2007. Ordinarily, this would have triggered an
exclusion opportunity, but given that we are starting this
initial opportunity for 150 days (covering the entire text
of the Last Call Working Draft), it will be the only exclusion
opportunity for GRDDL 1.0, unless the document returns later to
Working Draft status. The Last Call Working Draft is identified
by:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-grddl-20070302/

Thus, unless all Advisory Committee Representatives agree to end
the exclusion period early per [1], Participants have an
opportunity until 2 August 2007 to exclude patent claims reading
on this Recommendation track document. Excluded claims are not
subject to the licensing requirements of the W3C Patent Policy
for this document. For more information about exclusions, please
see
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#sec-Exclusion

To make exclusions, please use the following form:
 http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/39407/exclude

Per section 4.2 of the Patent Policy [2], a Participant may
resign from the Working Group before 3 June 2007 and be excused
from all licensing commitments arising out of Working Group
participation with respect to this document.

To resign from the Working Group before 3 June 2007, please use
the following form:
 http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/39407/join

Summary information for this group related to the W3C Patent
Policy is available at:
 http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/39407/status

If you have any questions or need further information, please contact,
for the GRDDL Working Group:
 * Dan Connolly at connolly@w3.org
 * or, for questions about this particular exclusion opportunity,
   please contact Ian Jacobs at ij@w3.org.

For more information on the W3C Patent Policy and patent claim
exclusions, see:
  http://www.w3.org/2003/12/22-pp-faq

Thank you,

For Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director;
Ian Jacobs, Head of W3C Communications

[1]
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#sec-exclusion-with
[2]
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#sec-exclusion-resign
[3] http://www.w3.org/2003/12/22-pp-faq#early-exclusion-end

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447