RE: Proposed changes to address issue-dbooth-3 (ambiguity)

> From: Harry Halpin [mailto:hhalpin@ibiblio.org]
>
>     If you wish for the WG to seriously consider your change,
> we need a
> finite list of all changes that need to be made to the spec, including
> non-normative text. If you can provide such a list for the WG
> and editor
> in particular, it will help consideration of your change. However, at
> this point in W3C Process we cannot afford to make commitments to
> "open-ended" changes to the spec.

I agree that would be best, but unfortunately I do not have time to do
that before tomorrow's meeting.

>     Also, we cannot of course add in a mention of a potential note
> unless the text of the Note is actually written.

Sure we can.  Here is how it was done in the RDF Concepts document, when
they were anticipating the IRI spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-Graph-URIref
[[
Note: this section anticipates an RFC on Internationalized Resource
Identifiers. Implementations may issue warnings concerning the use of
RDF URI References that do not conform with [IRI draft] or its
successors.
]]

I'll change the suggested mention to be more similar to that.

>     I would suggest doing these before suggesting any other
> changes, as
> suggesting too many changes in an "open-ended" manner makes it
> impossible for the WG to consider them. As you know due to your
> experience in these matters, it is far better to have one solid
> proposal, with test-cases and a list of textual changes, than many.

I appreciate the suggestion, but in light of the recent discussion, I
think I should at least offer an alternate proposal that would address
the variability in *both* the "transformation determination" and
"transformation application" steps.  I'm not sure I'll have time to work
it up, but I'll try.

Thanks

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent
the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.