Re: Proposed changes to address issue-dbooth-3 (ambiguity)

At 11:46 AM 6/19/2007 -0400, Harry Halpin wrote:

>Before proposing any alternative solutions, I would write the Note and
>specify *all* (including non-normative) spec changes your first proposal
>recommends before writing a second proposal.
>
>The option of reducing variability by *not permitting* Xinclude
>resolution by the transformation language or the GRDDL-aware agent would
>require re-opening our decision on #faithful-infoset, which the current
>proposal in my opinion does not require. At this late stage, I am
>against re-opening previous WG decisions unless there is very strong
>feeling by more than one member of the WG, and preferably WG consensus.

There is not consensus on the suggested change. I am strongly opposed.
This proposal would require re-opening Faithful Infoset.

The current specification is correct to operate on an XPath node tree.
XSLT, which is our assumed default transformation environment, employs
a node tree. In all of our discussions of the logical consequences of our
decisions,
we have assumed an XPath node tree which implies XML Normalization, including
whitespace handling, internal entity resolution, namespace-qualification,
character encoding, and so on. David's suggested changes would entail
changing a large
number of variables which have not been discussed or accounted for.

Regards,

Murray