Re: FW: Proposed change of transformation input

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 17:46 -0400, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)
wrote:
> To satisfactorily address all of issue-dbooth-3 except the absence of a
> definition of "complete GRDDL results", John Clark, Chimezie Ogbuji and
> David Booth propose the following normative change.  Of course
> corresponding changes to the non-normative text would also be needed,
> and David is willing to do or help with those as the WG desires.
>

> In http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#rule_result
> [[
> If an information resource([WEBARCH], section 2.2) IR is represented by
> an XML document with an XPath root node R, and R has a GRDDL
> transformation with a transformation property TP, and TP applied to R
> gives an RDF Graph[RDFC04] G, then G is a GRDDL result of IR.
> ]]
> change: "XML document"      to "XML document D"
> and:    "TP applied to R"   to "TP applied to D"
>

> Observations:
>
>  - This change would permit the GRDDL transformation to control *all*
> XML document processing, thus permitting the transformation author to be
> unambiguous (if desired) about the RDF graph that is intended.
>
>  - It is simple change for GRDDL implementations.
>
>  - It would not require any test case changes.

Odd; your first observation means that at least one test
changes:
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/grddl-tests#xinclude

And hence...

> - It does not require re-opening faithful-infoset.

This change is analogous to constraining
the XPath root node R to correspond to
the representation without any XInclude
or other fiddling; i.e.
"The source document
infoset is what you get by parsing the bytes that come over the wire"
-- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-grddl-wg/2006Dec/0068.html

The WG considered this position and decided against it. As editor,
I'm bound by that decision, so I can't make this change unless/until
the issue is re-considered.

I see no new information that suggests re-considering the WG decision.
of 2007-06-06
http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#issue-faithful-infoset
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-grddl-wg/2007Jun/att-0046/SV_MEETING_TITLE_--_6_Jun_2007.htm#item04