Re: Comments on GRDDL (using 3rd-party XML schemas with GRDDL) [OK?]

At 10:38 AM 8/1/2007 -0400, Harry Halpin wrote:
>Now, let's make sure we're discussing the *exact* edits the XSL/XQuery
>WG suggested:
>
>"The GRDDL specification states that any transformation identified by an
>author of a GRDDL source document will provide a Faithful Rendition
><http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/#sec_rend> of the information expressed in
>the source document.

No it does not. It states that the author of a document which asserts a
GRDDL transform
is making a "Faithful Rendition" claim. The spec itself makes no such claim.

>The specification also grants a GRDDL-aware agent
>the license <http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-grddl-20070302/#sec_agt> to
>make[REMOVE 's'] a determination of whether or not to apply a particular
>transformation guided by user interaction, a local security policy, or
>the agent's capabilities. [For example, a GRDDL-aware agent may have a
>security policy that prevents it from accessing GRDDL transformations
>located in untrusted domain names or it may be unable to apply
>transformations given in a language it does not support, and so it may
>be unable to produce the faithful rendition. Furthermore, in addition to
>being GRDDL-aware, an agent may feature optional capabilities such as
>allowing a schema and an associated transformation not at the namespace
>URI to be looked up using the mechanisms defined in the W3C XML Schema
>specification [XMLSCHEMA], and the results of applying such a
>transformation may not be a faithful rendition.]  In defining these
>tests it was assumed that the GRDDL-aware agent being tested is using a
>security policy which does *not* prevent it from applying
>transformations identified in each test [, supports XSLT 1.0, and does
>not rely on any capabilities outside those defined in the GRDDL
>Specification]. Such an agent should produce the GRDDL result associated
>with each normative test, except as specified immediately below."

Whatever a GRDDL-aware agent does outside of the scope of the GRDDL spec
is not within the scope of the spec to speak.