Re: #xmlbase [1234]

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 18:47 +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> Input for #xmlbase3 is redirected to be the same input as #xmlbase1
> thus these two have the same result, computed from:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/base/xmlWithBase
>
> Input for #xmlbase4 is redirected to be the same input as #xmlbase2 thus
> these two have the same result, computed from:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/base/xmlWithoutBase

Okay

> The first document
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/base/xmlWithBase
> is (ignoring namespaces)
> <foo xml:base="http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/xmlWithBase"
> g:transformation="whichdir.xsl"/>

So, my interpretation here is that the Base URI of the source document
is http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/xmlWithBase via
- 5.1.1.  Base URI Embedded in Content (RFC3986)
- 4.1 Relation to RFC 2396 (XML Base)

> so that whichdir.xsl refers to
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/whichdir.xsl

by resolving whichdir.xslt against the Base URI from above, yes..

> whereas, the second document
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/base/xmlWithoutBase
> is (ignoring namespaces)
> <foo g:transformation="whichdir.xsl"/>

curl -I on that URL return 200 OK.  So my interpretation is that the
request URI is the base URI of that document via:

- 5.1.3.  Base URI from the Retrieval URI

Without a redirect:
[[
If no base URI is embedded and the representation is not encapsulated
   within some other entity, then, if a URI was used to retrieve the
   representation, that URI shall be considered the base URI
]]

- 4.1 Relation to RFC 2396

> so that whichdir.xsl refers to
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/base/whichdir.xsl

by resolving whichdir.xslt against the Base URI from above, yes ..

> the output of the whichdir transform is:
>
> <rdf:RDF>
>   <rdf:Description rdf:about="">
>   <rdfs:comment>
> Transformed by stylesheet from /2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/
> </rdfs:comment>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> in the first case #xmlbase1, #xmlbase3

So the RDF/XML serialization has no indication of a Base URI.  My
interpretation is that if this RDF/XML is a faithful rendition of an IR
with a baseURI of http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/xmlWithBase then
this RDF/XML should be parsed providing this baseURI as the URI of the
GRDDL result:

2.14 Abbreviating URIs: rdf:ID and xml:base

[[
The XML Infoset provides a base URI attribute xml:base that sets the
base URI for resolving relative RDF URI references, otherwise the base
URI is that of the document.
]]

So the assertion should be (in ntriples):

<http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/xmlWithBase> <rdfs:comment> "..."

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/xmlWithBase-output has a different
subject for the same triple.

> or #xmlbase2, #xmlbase4
> <rdf:RDF>
>   <rdf:Description rdf:about="">
>    <rdfs:comment>
> Transformed by stylesheet from /2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/base/
>     </rdfs:comment>
> </rdf:Description>
> </rdf:RDF>
>
> in the second.

The output links for #xmlbase2 and #xmlbase4 in pendinglist.html (1.31)
are:

xmlWithBase-output (relative URL which depends on .htaccess redirect to
xmlWithBase-output.rdf):

<rdf:RDF
    xml:base="http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/base/xmlWithBase"
    xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#" >
  <rdf:Description rdf:about="">
    <rdfs:comment>Transformed by stylesheet
from /2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/</rdfs:comment>
  </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

This is an RDF/XML with an indication of a base, which should result in
an ntriples statement of

<http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/base/xmlWithBase> rdfs:comment
"Transformed by stylesheet from /2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/"

> SO that the literal object shows which whichdir was invoked, and the URI
> subject should show the retrieval URI, i.e.
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/base/xmlWithBase
> for cases 1 and 3

See above..

> or
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/td/base/xmlWithoutBase
> for cases 2 and 4

Looks like (perhaps) #xmlbase2 / #xmlbase4 might be pointing to the
wrong output document.  Notice grddl-wg/td/xmlWithoutBase-output.rdf
matches the ntriples statement above.

--
Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst

Cleveland Clinic is ranked one of the top 3 hospitals in
America by U.S.News & World Report. Visit us online at
http://www.clevelandclinic.org for a complete listing of
our services, staff and locations.