Re: Invalid XHTML Re: Another test suggesting change in the spec

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 14:08 -0400, Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
[...]
> On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 12:45 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
[...]
> > What _do_ the implementations check or depend on?
> > MIME type, XML-wf-ness, and root element namespace?
>
> GRDDL.py (in its current form) only checks for XML-wf-ness and
> successful evaluation of the (unambiguous) XPaths outlined in the
> specification.

There are no XPaths in the relevant section.

Oh... wait... yes there are... though only in the informative
mechanical rules...

I think those rules match, for example, XHTML inside Atom;
even inside an Atom document that says "The following
XHTML is false/fictuional/counter-factual..."

> > If so, I'd specify something like this...
> >
> >   If an information resource has a text/html representation
> >   whose body is an XML document whose root element
> >   bears the local name 'html' and the
> >   namespace name 'http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml', then ...
> >

> +1 On this

That quick sketch excludes the following mime types:
  text/xml
  application/xml
  application/xhtml+xml

I think that's not a good way to specify it... but I do think
the media type has to specify XML... i.e. text/plain is no good.

> However, my original question remains: does our dependency on XHTML
> clash with the faithful infoset 'stance'?

No. (i.e. not as far as I can tell.)