Re: Cascading hGRDDL (was Re: hGRRDL for hCard: test case of a GRDDL transformation to produce RDFa from hCards)

I've checked these files into the test area, but I have some scepticism
that this is the right way to do this.

The problem that I see is as follows:

Initial doc:

link: hCal2RDFa
link: hCard2RDFa

The Grddl processor sees this and applies both transforms, down two
different computation routes

Route 1 hCal2RDFa
becomes
link: RDFa2RDFXML
link: hCard2RDFa

Route 2 hCard2RDFa
becomes
link: hCal2RDFa
link: RDFa2RDFXML

For each, the mime type is text/html so we repeat getting:

Route 1.1 hCal2RDFa/RDFa2RDFXML
becomes
hCal.rdf

Route 1.2 hCal2RDFa/hCard2RDFa
becomes
link: RDFa2RDFXML
link: RDFa2RDFXML

Route 2.1 hCard2RDFa/hCal2RDFa
becomes
link: RDFa2RDFXML
link: RDFa2RDFXML

Route 2.1 hCard2RDFa/RDFa2RDFXML
becomes
hCard.rdf

We then need to repeat 1.2 and 2.1 to get

1.2.1 hCal2RDFa/hCard2RDFa/RDFa2RDFXML
1.2.2 hCal2RDFa/hCard2RDFa/RDFa2RDFXML
2.1.1 hCard2RDFa/hCal2RDFa/RDFa2RDFXML
2.1.2 hCard2RDFa/hCal2RDFa/RDFa2RDFXML

giving us four copies of
hCalhCard.rdf

So, in the end we've computed 6 GRDDL results, 4 of which are hopefully
the same, and the other two together should presumable amount to one of
the other four.
So we get each triple 5 times over.

And if we have blank nodes in the output, we have multiple copies that
do not get merged away. (deleting the multiple copies is fairly hard,
equivalent to the subgraph isomorphism problem, and is not required of a
GRDDL processor).

I think it would be better to have a single transform that somehow
pipelined the two together - I suspect quite easy in XSLT 2.0, and
difficult in XSLT 1.0

It may be possible to have a single transform, let's call it pipeline,
that rewrites the link headers to execute one after the other e.g.

initial doc:

link rel="transformation" href="pipeline"

output

link rel="pipeline transformation" href="mf1"
link rel="pipeline" href="mf2 mf3 mf4"

GRDDL applies mf1 for first microformat,
and gets html output

link rel="pipeline transformation" href="pipeline"
link rel="pipeline" href="mf2 mf3 mf4"

(with mf1 knowing to hand back to pipeline rather than RDFa2RDFXML,
perhaps keyed by the pipeline word in the rel attribute)

GRDDL applies pipeline which sees the current state and rewrites the
link headers as

link rel="pipeline transformation" href="mf2"
link rel="pipeline" href="mf3 mf4"

etc.

at the end we have

link rel="pipeline transformation" href="pipeline"
link rel="pipeline" href=""

and GRDDL calls pipeline, which seeing that the pipeline is empty simply
invokes RDFa2RDFXML by rewriting headers as

link rel="transformation" href="RDFa2RDFXML"

I'm unclear as to the value of this though.
It seems like quite a lot of work, in order to have an intermediate step
that conforms with RDFa; admittedly that is publishable, but only if the
GRDDL processor knows to stop and give you this intermediate file.

Jeremy

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England