Re: from xml:base

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 15:34 +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> We could always upgrade from XPath to XPath 2.0
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/
> but there's a lot in there, and it seems unnecessarily complicated.

Yes, *very* much so. I really hope we don't go this route.

> In practice, I think we are only talking about an xml:base on the root
> element, since that's the only place a grddl:transformation can occur.

If I understand correctly, this has been my assumption as well and seems
the most pragmatic step forward.  Augment the XPath 1.0 Data Model with
a 'global' (top-level) notion of a base URI which is tied to XML Base
but starts with the assumption that there is no indication of a base URI
*within* the document.

Essentially a GRDDL source data model derived mostly from XPath 1.0, but
we don't have to introduce the notion formally, just be explicit about
the 'derivation', how it specifically relates to XML Base, and (perhaps)
a health warning to authors about the use of xml:base in a GRDDL source
document (I prefer to use this term consistently so we aren't confusing
this with the source document the GRDDL transforms are applied on -
which have a *different* data model: XSLT 1.0 - the issue-base-param had
more to do with GRDDL transform source documents than GRDDL source
documents).

> And any XML data model whatsoever, will allow us to apply XML Base Rec
> in such a limited way

Yes, XPath 1.0 especially.

--
Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst

Cleveland Clinic is ranked one of the top 3 hospitals in
America by U.S.News & World Report. Visit us online at
http://www.clevelandclinic.org for a complete listing of
our services, staff and locations.