Re: Updated Test Document to reflect actions / discussion from last teleconference

Hi Chime

This is looking good.

I have a few minor points about specific tests and wordings

Tests
=====

a) Namespace loop

You ask whether the namespace loop tests violate the general policy
concerning maximal grddl results.

They do.

My understanding was that the WG was minded that the '"SHOULD" produce
GRDDL results' can reasonably be understood as allowing implementers
making a fair effort to implement the spec, to not compute the maximal
result in a document with this sort of self-dependence.

Hence, I am imagining that these four tests are
a) passed by explicit vote of WG, aware that this violates our own
policy, and hence gives the reader a view of our interpretation of the
SHOULD
b) have a small explanatory text to the effect that the approval of
these tests reflect the WG's interpretation of the 'SHOULD' in the
specification with regards to this input.

e.g.
[[
The following four tests, show different GRDDL results possible
for a particular self-referential input document.
To be consistent with the other tests, only the last of these,
the maximal result, would apply.
The Working Group approved all four tests on @@@Not yet approved@@@
to reflect an interpretation of the RFC  2119 keyword 'SHOULD' in
http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/#sec_agt
GRDDL specification section 7.
The Working Group, aware of the implications
of not producing all the GRDDL results in this case,
and aware of the difficulty of so doing,
do not discourage implementers from being satisfied with passing
any one of these four tests.
]]

That's probably too wordy, I was referring to RFC 2119.

b) content negotiation

I am unclear as to why the two content negotiation tests are in the
informative section - they look pretty normative to me.
I should produce a maximal result for these.

c) multiple representations test seems to have got lost.
I will re-propose it in the pending list.

Wording
=======

d) picky point about tense
    "will" occurs in
The test will have a symmetric property

and

The tests which require a network connection will use absolute URIs

I suggest delete 'will' in both cases

[We're doing well when review is reduced to such picky points - it means
the substance is fine!]

e) slightly less picky.
I wasn't comfortable with the phrasing of the following sentence:

[[
However, for the purpose of running these tests in order to determine
compliance, a GRDDL-aware agent with a security policy which does not
prevent it from applying transformations identified by each test will
produce the GRDDL result associated with each normative test.
]]

The word I don't like is 'determine'.
The tests can show that some software is not a GRDDL-aware agent, but
cannot show that it is.

I would prefer a phrasing that did not have a reading that a piece of
software that passes all the tests is a GRDDL-aware agent.
e.g.

[[
However, for the purpose of defining these tests it was assumed that
the GRDDL-aware agent being tested is using a security policy which does
not prevent it from applying the transformations identified in each test.
Such an agent will produce the GRDDL result associated with each
normative test, except as specified immediately below.
]]

Withdrawl of Previous Comment
=============================

On #alternative and #subsumes.

I believe the document, and the manifests, are fine without these
features, and would be happy to see the two relevant paragraphs deleted.

However, I will argue no longer for their removal.
They have merely editorial force, and you are the editor.
Since this is essentially a matter of taste, I will support your
judgement (at least at the formal level!).

In other words, I think we have discussed this point enough, and we
should agree to differ - and so you win, by virtue of holding the pen!

Jeremy

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England