Re: 3XX issue

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:48:22 -0500
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: GRDDL Working Group <public-grddl-wg@w3.org>

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 18:22 +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> As an example consider the multiprofile test that my software used to
> pass, but now fails.
>
> My guess is the reason for the failure is the redirect on:
> http://purl.org/NET/erdf/profile
> http://research.talis.com/2005/erdf/profile
>
> The profile uses the glean-profile library function, which uses a same
> document reference rdf:about="" to make the subject for the
> grddl:profileTransformation triples.
>
> Because of the change in the way I am handling redirects, this same
> document referenced is now being interpreted as about
> http://research.talis.com/2005/erdf/profile
> rather than being as about http://purl.org/NET/erdf/profile
[...]
> Is this at all clear?

yes, fairly... In fact, I wonder why it works in the
code I wrote/used; I suppose, in that code, the redirect
is invisible. does the XSLT document() function let you
know when a redirect occurred? I doubt it. I know this
is an issue in javascript/XMLHTTPRequest standardization.

I was about to argue that in the case of
C:  GET U1
S1: 302 found; location: U2
C: GET U2
S2: 200 OK body2

then body2 is a representation of what U1 identifies
as well as what U2 identifies... but that could cause
relative URIs to go screwy.

Hmm.

I don't have a strong feeling of that the right answer is here.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E