Re: XML schema CC use case

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Dan Connolly wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 20:31 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>> On Sep 6, 2006, at 11:42 AM, Ben Adida wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've been tasked with writing up the XML schema Creative Commons use
>>> case [1,2].
>>
>> I just found the start of some slides that overlap with this topic.
>> In case they're useful...
>>
>>    Integrating Data from Multiple XML Schemas with GRDDL and RDF
>>    http://www.w3.org/2003/g/talk2/grddl-xsch.html
>
> In the primer, I just noticed:
>
>  WE NEED A DESCRIPTION OF THE TECHNICAL SOLUTION HERE
>  I.E. HOW DO WE SPECIFY IN THE XML SCHEMA THAT EACH
>  ONE OF ITS INSTANCES IS A GRDDL SOURCE DOCUMENT.
>  -- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/doc43/scenario-gallery.htm
>  v 1.32 2006/09/13 16:44:24
>
> and that reminded me of some work on the details:
>
>    Creative Commons GRDDL story / demonstration
>    Eric Miller, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
>    15 October 2004, rev. 2 February 2005
>    http://www.w3.org/2003/g/cc/demo.html
>

> Is that world-readable? Ah yes. Good.
> My checked out version of it has these files; they're all
> in http space too:
>
> ~/w3ccvs/WWW/2003/g$ ls cc
> CVS                    oai-sample1-mod-target.rdf
> oai-sample1-mod2.xml
> OAI-PMH-annotated.xsd  oai-sample1-mod.xml              oai-sample1.xml
> cc-licenses.xsd        oai-sample1-mod.xml.psvi.1.html
> oai.indiana.sample.xml
> demo.html              oai-sample1-mod.xml.psvi.2.html  rdf.xsd
> oai-cc.to.rdf.xsl      oai-sample1-mod.xml.psvi.3.html  xhtml-divs.dtd
>

> Hmm... the GRDDL source document looks like it's supposed to be
> oai-sample1-mod.xml , but I don't see any path from there to
> a transformation.
>
> Ah... it looks like that's still TODO:
> * To do: Modified OAI XML Schema to include schema annotation
> * Create XSLT script for exracting CC information from OAI records
> * GRDDL sample OAI instance data
>
> Actually, do we need that level of detail for the primer?
> As I said[14Sep], the details have been worked out in another case.
> We should perhaps work out the details of the CC/OAI case as another
> section of the primer. But how about just deleting
> the big "WE NEED..." notice from the primer for now?

I see.  During the last teleconference there was some uncertainty as to
what 'hooks' were registered in the schema to identify transforms with
for its instances, the http://www.w3.org/2003/g/po-ex schema makes it
clear.  I'm not sure if it's a lack of implementation detail that's the
issue but rather the wording:

"Since the XML instance documents are often distributed, as in
the OAI case, the XML schema (residing at the namespace location) could
embed RDF descriptions identifying a transform to apply to all its
instance documents."                              ^^^^^

'apply' could be a link to the appropriate place in the specification that
outlines how this is done: http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#ns-bind

Perhaps even some mention of the existing general-purpose transform
http://www.w3.org/2003/g/embeddedRDF.xsl which allows you to extract
embedded RDF/XML directly via:

data-view:transformation="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/embeddedRDF.xsl"

Chimezie Ogbuji