Re: Namespace document issues (multiple namespace transformations)

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 10:50 +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:
> I think we probably need to include a sentence or two giving the
> options where more than one *different* transformations in the same
> domain are potentially available. For example, for Atom there's
> translation to AtomOWL and direct translation to RSS 1.0 (with the
> slightly ugly potential for multiple titles etc for the same item). I
> believe the assumption so far has been that there will only be one
> transformation named in the namespace doc, which seems reasonable for
> this iteration of the spec. But clarification is Good.

Again, if you think it's important to include a sentence or two,
please suggest actual text. We are the Working Group.

I think the best form of clarification in cases like these is
a test case. Are you interested to help put one together?

The spec already says:

"Note that an XHTML document may conform to a number of dialects
simultaneously and link to more than one decoding algorithm"

complete with a diagram showing how multiple transformations work.

The XML case is less elaborate, but it's there: "The value of the
grddl:transformation attribute designates a list of algorithms"

As to namespace transformations, GRDDL is specified declaratively:

[[
if
      * the root element of an XML document ?XD is associated with a
        namespace name ?NS, and
      * ?NS identifies a document whose meaning includes the RDF
        statement { ?NS
        <http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view#namespaceTransformation> ?TX }
  * then ?TX is a transformation that preserves the meaning of ?XD
]]
 -- http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#ns-bind

So if you bind ?NS to the Atom namespace document and find
two bindings for ?TX, then they both apply to all Atom documents.

[more on the other issues you raise separately; I prefer to
argue just one issue per messsage.]