Re: RDDL-via-GRDDL and OWL/RDFS for GRDDL Vocabulary [RDFinXHTML-35, namespaceDocument-8]

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 09:33:04 -0500
To: Chimezie Ogbuji <ogbujic@bio.ri.ccf.org>
Cc: public-grddl-wg <public-grddl-wg@w3.org>
> the great amount activity that fueled and preceded RDDL and the strong
> TAG/Web Architecture stance [3] on Namespace Documents - it's worth some
> mention in the specification of a) How GRDDL can provide a vehicle [4] for
> the machine-readability of RDDL and b) How GRDDL can be used in tandem
> with RDDL.

It's worth doing that somewhere, either in a TAG document or in
a deliverable of this WG, or perhaps both.

Our charter calls out a relationship with the tag...
  TAG: issues RDFinXHTML-35, fragmentInXML-28, rdfURImeaning-39
  -- http://www.w3.org/2006/07/grddl-charter.html#relationships

Actually, the most relevant draft TAG finding is on issue
namespaceDocument-8, not on issue RDFinXHTML-35, but they're
pretty intertwingled.

 Associating Resources with Namespaces
 Draft TAG Finding 13 December 2005
 http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/nsDocuments/

See especially section 3.3 Using GRDDL .

The TAG hasn't acted on that finding/issue for a while. There do
seem to be open action items on Norm Walsh. It's probably in order
for this WG to review that draft finding. A review process that
I like is:
	(1) 2 WG members volunteer to read ?DOCUMENT
	(this often gets recorded as actions)

	(2) Those 2 WG members read ?DOCUMENT and
	send mail to the WG suggesting what our
	review comments should be.

	(2a) Those 2 people often have comments of
	their own that they send independently

	(3) The WG discusses the suggested comment
	(often this prompts others to read ?DOCUMENT
	etc.) salts to taste

	(4) one of the 2 WG members (or the chair
	or another WG member altogether) sends
	the review comments in the name of the WG.

> For b), consider an XML document with a namespace URL that points to a RDDL document which uses
> GRDDL to extract RDDL descriptions [5] (writing a transform that does this
> might prove a useful academic exercise) as well as a
> data-view:transformation attribute which points to a transform which
> extracts other descriptions.

That's exactly what section 3.3 Using GRDDL is about, if I understand
you correctly.

> Also, below is a suggested, short (non-normative) OWL ontology for the
> GRDDL vocabulary terms from the specification:

Are you aware that the GRDDL namespace document already includes an
ontology that is quite similar? In fact, we publish the RDF/XML
variant too. Attached find a turtle transcription generated
with cwm a la:

$ python cwm.py http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view --n3 --base=x:
>,grddl-ttl.txt

It's reasonably close to what you propose...

> @prefix owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#> .
> @prefix xs: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .
> @prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
> @prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
> @prefix grddl: <http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view#> .
>
> grddl:Document a owl:class;
>     rdfs:comment "An XML document which registers specific hooks for a GRDDL client to use to extract Resource Descriptions from it.".

I didn't find a need for such a class; I did use foaf:Document .
I suppose that creates a normative dependency from GRDDL to FOAF
that needs to be explicit in the spec. I just added a TODO
in v1.84 http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#bib

> grddl:Transform a owl:Class;
>      rdfs:comment "A Document which specifies a well-defined algorithm whose input is the source document.".

The term I used was Algorithm. And I didn't identify the algorithm with
a document that specifies it.

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm>     ns0_:primaryTopic
data:Algorithm .

I suppose that's a normative dependency on wikipedia. Hmm.

> grddl:namespaceTransformation a owl:ObjectProperty;
>      rdfs:domain grddl:Document;
>      rdfs:range  grddl:Transform.

We're very close there.

    data:namespaceTransformation     :domain ns0_:Document;
         :range data:Algorithm .

> grddl:profileTransformation a owl:ObjectProperty;
>      rdfs:range  grddl:Transform.

    data:profileTransformation     :comment """relates a Document to an
          Algorithm,
          usually encoded in XSLT, for extracting an RDF
          representation of (some of) the meaning of any XHTML
          document with a profile that refers to the subject
          document.""";
         :domain ns0_:Document;
         :range data:Algorithm .

> [1] http://chatlogs.planetrdf.com/swig/2006-09-04.html#T20-58-36
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2006Mar/thread#msg23
> [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#pr-namespace-documents
> [4] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/nsDocuments/#div.grddl
> [5] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/nsDocuments/#owl
>
> Chimezie Ogbuji
> Lead Systems Analyst
> Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
> Cleveland Clinic Foundation
> 9500 Euclid Avenue/ W26
> Cleveland, Ohio 44195
> Office: (216)444-8593
> ogbujic@ccf.org

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E

#Processed by Id: cwm.py,v 1.186 2006/07/07 03:30:52 syosi Exp
        #    using base x:

#  Notation3 generation by
#       notation3.py,v 1.190 2006/07/10 14:20:31 syosi Exp

#   Base was: x:
     @prefix : <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
    @prefix Con: <http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/> .
    @prefix Dom: <http://www.w3.org/People/Dom/> .
    @prefix TR: <http://www.w3.org/TR/> .
    @prefix data: <http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view#> .
    @prefix g: <http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/> .
    @prefix g2: <http://www.w3.org/2003/g/> .
    @prefix ns0: <http://webns.net/mvcb/> .
    @prefix ns0_: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
    @prefix ns0___: <http://www.rddl.org/purposes#> .
    @prefix ns0____: <http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#> .
    @prefix ns0_____: <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/> .
    @prefix pub: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/> .

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm>     ns0_:primaryTopic data:Algorithm .

    pub:     :label "public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf" .

    g2:data-view     ns0:generatorAgent <http://purl.org/NET/erdf/extract>;
         ns0___:informative-reference TR:xslt;
         ns0___:normative-reference g:,
                <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/>;
         ns0_:maker data:danc,
                data:dom .

    data:Algorithm     :label "Algorithm" .

    data:danc     ns0_:homepage Con:;
         ns0_:name "Dan Connolly" .

    data:dom     ns0_:homepage Dom:;
         ns0_:name "Dominique Hazaël-Massieux" .

    data:grddlProject     ns0____:homepage g2:data-view;
         ns0____:shortdesc """GRDDL
    is a technique for gleaning resource
    descriptions from dialects of
    languages. It's a way of extracting Semantic Web
    data in RDF from XML formats (especially
    XHTML dialects or microformats) via
    transformations identified by URIs and typically expressed in
    XSLT.""" .

    data:namespaceTransformation     :domain ns0_:Document;
         :range data:Algorithm .

    data:profileTransformation     :comment """relates a Document to an
          Algorithm,
          usually encoded in XSLT, for extracting an RDF
          representation of (some of) the meaning of any XHTML
          document with a profile that refers to the subject
          document.""";
         :domain ns0_:Document;
         :range data:Algorithm .

    data:transformation     :comment """relates a Document to an
          Algorithm,
          usually represented in XSLT, for
          extracting an RDF/XML
          representation of (some of) the document's
          meaning.""";
         :domain ns0_:Document;
         :isDefinedBy g:;
         :range data:Algorithm .

    Con:     :label "Dan Connolly" .

    Dom:     :label "Dominique Hazaël-Massieux" .

    g:     ns0_____:date "2005-05-15";
         ns0_____:title """Gleaning
        Resource Descriptions from Dialects of Languages
        (GRDDL)""";
         :label "GRDDL specification",
                "Gleaning Resource Descriptions from Dialects of Languages (GRDDL), 16 May 2005" .

    <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/>     ns0_____:date "2004-02-10";
         ns0_____:title """Resource
      Description Framework (RDF): Concepts and Abstract
      Syntax""";
         :label "Resource Description Framework (RDF): Concepts and Abstract Syntax, 10 February 2004" .

    TR:xslt     :label "XSLT" .

    ns0_:Document     :label "Document" .

#ENDS