Re: Spec suggestion: spell out serialization parsing context

From: Chimezie Ogbuji <ogbujic@bio.ri.ccf.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:47:54 -0500 (EST)
To: GRDDL Working Group <public-grddl-wg@w3.org>

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, McBride, Brian wrote:

> A GRDDL transform transforms a document to a graph.  Transform authors
> typically transform a document to a serialization of graph.
>
> Conceptually what is typically happening is in two stages:
>
> 1. Transform the document to a serialization of the graph
> 2. Parse that serialization
>
> Parsing occurs in a context, e.g. same document references and base URI
> (I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but their might be
> some).
>
> Should the spec spell out that context so that transform authors know
> what they can rely on?

I believe the reason why we moved away from language about parsing or
concrete syntaxes (someone plz correct me if I'm wrong) was to move away
from having a closed list of supported serialization syntaxes.  Saying
that a 'graph' comes out implies a
concrete (and valid) syntax and a successful parse.  The syntax coming out
and the base URI would constitute the context for the parsing.

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Cleveland Clinic Foundation