Re: Issue-base-param: do we need the parameter?

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, McBride, Brian wrote:

> I see
>
>  <rdf:Description rdf:about="">
>
> Where the same document reference ("") in the template turns into a
> reference to the source document in the graph.  (I'm gonna wonder about
> that a bit more if I get the time or energy.)  So presumably

Yes, the nice thing about both RDF and XML processing (and my primary
motivation for discouraging any explicit management of BaseURI resolution
by the transformation algorithm) is that they both support 'proper' base
URI / relative URI resolution so empty (and relative) URI references can
comfortably be used in the source document as well as in the resulting
RDF.

>  <rdf:Description rdf:about=".">
>
> Will be a reference to the resource identified by the base URI of the
> source document.

Yes, though the '.' is redundant with regards to URI base resolution.

> So is that sufficient for now, I wonder, noting that with XSLT 2 there
> is an accessor to get at the baseURI of a node
>
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/#dm-base-uri
>

> What this wouldn't let us do in XSLT <2 would be get the baseURI and
> munge it in the style sheet, e.g. get the URI, extract the protocol
> part, and create a triple that said that resource is accessable by that
> protocol.

Right, this is one of only a few usecases that come to mind for the need
to handle the baseURI explicitely.  They seem very peripheral to me.  I'm
certain there is best practice against 'handling' URI's explicitely - I
believe the cwm-builtin property log:uri has a disclaimer to that effect:

"This allows one to look at the actual string of the URI which identifies
this. (Cwm can get the URI of a resource or get the resource from the
URI.) This is a level breaker, breaking the rule of not looking inside a
URI. "

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery