Re: The xi namespace

From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:41:00 -0500
To: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>, public-grddl-wg <public-grddl-wg@w3.org>

Quick note:

    If we do mandate that the GRDDL spec should exercise XInclude and
reflect any declared DTD or Schema, we do make the implementation
slightly harder.  In essence, we restrict any GRDDL implementers to use
XML parsers and libraries, in particular those that implement XInclude
(for example, while 4Suite by default in the parse resolves XIncludes,
while Xalan of course can resolve XIncludes but requires it to be made
explicit).  While that's fairly easy, I'm thinking default attributes
via XML Schema may be harder (although of course not impossible) for
implementers. Any opinions?

          -harry

Murray Maloney wrote:

> Stepping out of Devil's Advocate role for a moment...
>
> I think that the GRDDL spec should become clear that the source
> document infoset
> must reflect any declared DTD or schema, and must exercise XInclude.
> Anything
> less abrogates the Faithful Rendition promise and is a failure.
>
> My xi namespace proposal is at best a stop-gap measure aimed at
> mitigating the impact
> of such failure.

		-harry

Harry Halpin,  University of Edinburgh