Re: tensions between copy-and-paste and follow-your-nose [Fwd: Re: profile attribute and conformance (copy-and-paste details)]

This is probably not very well considered, but my initial reaction is
that, to get this right, we need to distinguish a notion of "meaning in
isolation" from "meaning in context".  In isolation, the  <dl
class='hpayment'> does indeed represent a payment.  If one extracted an
RDF triple indicating: somewhere in this document is mention of a payment
to the Order of Ben Fraudster, that would be a correct statement (or if
that's not quite right, you could come up with a statment that is.)   That
same statement would be necessarily be true of a document into which you
pasted a copy of that same fragment.  In the context of the document as a
whole, the payment is labeled as fraudulent.  Thus an RDF triple conveying
"This document represents a fraudulent check to Ben Fraudster" would be
correct.   What's incorrect is to imply in context meaning from
information taken in isolation:  a triple saying "A correct payment was
made to Ben Fraudster" is not a correct inference from this document.

My intuition is that it's the user agents, or in the case of copy/paste,
the combination of sending and receiving user agents, that knows the
context.  If I copy a whole document to a clipboard, and paste it as a new
document in a receiving application, then ,(modulo quibbling about
dependencies on the base URI) any triples that can be inferred from the
source are presumably inferrable from the target too.

If instead a user makes a selection corresponding to a subtree in the
source, and pastes that, then presumably the user agent needs some way of
conveying on the clipboard that a fragment is being conveyed out of
context;  if the receiving user agent is going to try and use GRDDL on the
pasted fragment, then there would have to be some way for that agent to
discover transforms that the original document author warrants are
applicable to the fragments in isolation.  What's missing, it seems, is a
way to author, publish and associate such additional transforms with the
original document.  I have no bright ideas as to how to do this, or
whether it's worth doing.  One could imagine ways of structuring or
annotating the original GRDDL with some sort of rule based mechanism that
would allow an engine to determine automatically the conditions under
which certain templates could be safely applied to which fragments in
isolation and/or after pasting into other documents.  One could also
imagine alternate linking mechanisms, perhaps including links sprinkled
throughout the original content.

I don't know if that's helpful, but it's how I find myself thinkinging
about the problem given that you've raised it.  In particular, it doesn't
seem to me that anything is "broken", in the sense that mechanisms have
been designed poorly or layered wrong;  it just seems that publishing
transforms for use on fragments is an additional feature that might be
needed, and hasn't been specified yet.

> p.s. I don't know if this crossed your radar...
>
> The details of data in documents: GRDDL, profiles, and HTML5
> http://www.w3.org/QA/2008/08/the_details_of_data_in_documen.html

Nope, but it's interesting.  Thanks!

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn