Re: ANN: Krextor 0.2 (XML --XSLT--> RDF extraction framework)

Christoph LANGE wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>   only for the second release of Krextor, my XML–XSLT?RDF extraction
> framework, I realised that this is probably the most appropriate place to
> discuss it.  (If this is not the right place to discuss about GRDDL-related
> applications, let me know.)
>
> So let me start with a short introduction to the project:
>
> Krextor (http://kwarc.info/projects/krextor/) is an extensible XSLT-based
> framework for extracting RDF from XML, supporting multiple input languages as
> well as multiple output RDF notations.  Krextor provides convenience templates
> that try to do “the right thing”™ in many common cases, as to reduce the need
> for manually writing repetitive code.
>
> Currently not too many input and output formats are actually implemented.
> However, Krextor was designed for easy extensibility. The idea is that you
> have some semantic web application that works with RDF (e.g. for querying or
> reasoning) but that most of your knowledge is hidden in XML markup. Using
> Krextor and some suitable ontologies you can then specify a mapping from XML
> markup to RDF in terms of these ontologies.  If you want to give it a try …
>
> * for your XML-based language
> * for your Microformat or other way of embedding annotations into XML
> * for your favourite RDF notation, if your applications don't support RXR.
>
> …, I'd be happy to support you in doing so.
>
> As I'm new to this list, let me shortly introduce myself: I'm a Ph.D. student
> working on a semantic wiki for mathematical knowledge
> (http://kwarc.info/projects/swim/). Krextor is a spin-off project of this
> effort.  Therefore it currently only comes with ready-to-use extraction and
> output modules for those XML languages that I'm interested in for my research,
> but of course I'm interested in a broader evaluation of the framework, as it
> is not restricted to those languages.
>
> I'm not yet that experienced with GRDDL, I only have a basic idea of it, and
> in my application I'm not using it because there are only two XML languages
> used (OMDoc and OpenMath), and for each of them there is only one RDF
> representation of the knowledge that I'm interested in.  But I believe that
> due to its modularity Krextor could be interesting for GRDDLing.

Sounds great!

I can't read the README documentation, but it appears that Krextor could
be very useful for GRDDLing. Does it automagically produce a XSLT in
addition to the mapped instance data? In that case, it would be a way
for people to help bootstrap XSLTs they could then attach to profile and
namespace docs for GRDDL.

thanks,
harry