Re: GRDDL and OWL/XML

I've read the thread so far, and only feel minded to respond to one of
Bijan's earlier points that hasn't got much attention.

Overall, I'm sympathetic to Bijan's perspective: any W3C implementation
of the transform should in my mind clearly be labelled as inferior and
derivative to the normative spec; but I don't think that means that
there shouldn't be one. The practical utility of its existence is the
key argument for me.

Here's the point I wish to respond to:
Bijan Parsia wrote:
> 1) The primary purpose of W3C working group is to produce
> specifictations...standards, in fact. Many members of the W3C (who pay
> fees, after all) are implementors and vendors of implementations. The
> W3C, itself, enjoys a great deal of prestige and attention that its
> smaller members cannot hope to compete with. Futhermore, the W3C has a
> monopoly of W3C web space. Thus, it has a monopoly on what
> implementations it not just recommends, but *delivers* to people (via
> GRDDL agents). This makes it very difficult to compete with that
> implementation. Since WGs generally don't live very long, things
> stagnate (i.e., the W3C doesn't generally have the resources to maintain
> *lots* of software).

I think this is based on a factual error.
An XSLT implementation of anything, particularly when you have to first
do an HTTP GET (or even three or four) before you have any XML in your
hand, to parse, compile, optimise ... is a bit of a nightmare from the
performance point of view. Also the security point of view.

While it's still early days for GRDDL implementations, I find you're
vision for GRDDL exciting.

A GRDDL agent that had explicit support for a few well known standards
(e.g. RDFa, OWL/XML, POWDER) and had a pluggable architecture, that, for
instance, could take Java code that implemented the normative specs
directly, would be a hold lot better than the current situation, where
GRDDL agents only handle XSLT, and at least in the Jena case, was
sufficiently insecure to cause the HP lawyer to require a special "I
agree to the BSD license 'no liability'" splash screen!

So, for my money, your custom OWL/XML parser is almost certainly better,
faster, more secure, ... than a W3C XSLT stylesheet; and if I end up
developing the Jena GRDDL reader further, I would be intrigued by the
possibility of teaming up with you to incorporate your code as the
implementation to be used for the OWL/XML transform.

I think the role of W3C blessed implementations is not as 'reference'
implementations, but seed corn; and I don't think that your fears that
the seed corn will be a weed stifling the growth of better
implementations is well-founded.

Jeremy