Re: Comments on GRDDL (using 3rd-party XML schemas with GRDDL) [OK?]

From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:26:42 -0400
To: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@redhat.com>
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@acm.org>, ogbujic@ccf.org, "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>, Andrew Eisenberg <andrew.eisenberg@us.ibm.com>, public-grddl-comments@w3.org, w3c-xsl-query@w3.org

[snip]

So, here's my re-take on the wording changes that I think takes into
account DanC's and DavidB's concerns with my original set of changes.

"The GRDDL specification states that any transformation identified by an author of a GRDDL source document will provide a Faithful Rendition <http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/#sec_rend> of the information expressed in the source document. The specification also grants a GRDDL-aware agent the license <http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-grddl-20070302/#sec_agt> to
makes a determination of whether or not to apply a particular transformation guided by user interaction, a local security policy, or the agent's capabilities. [For example, a GRDDL-aware agent may have a security policy that prevents it from accessing GRDDL transformations located in untrusted domain names or it may be unable to apply transformations given in a language it does not support, and so it may be unable to produce the faithful rendition. Furthermore, in addition to being GRDDL-aware, an agent may feature optional capabilities such as allowing a schema and an associated transformation not at the namespace URI to be looked up using a non-standard mechanism, and the results of applying such a transformation may not be a faithful rendition.]  In defining these tests it was assumed that the GRDDL-aware agent being tested is using a security policy which does *not* prevent it from applying transformations identified in each test [, supports XSLT 1.0, and does not rely on any capabilities outside those defined in the GRDDL Specification]. Such an agent should produce the GRDDL result associated with each normative test, except as specified immediately below."

This is addressed to the XML/XSL Query WG, DanC, and DavidB, and Chime -
since as Editor Chime has to make the actual edits.

--
		-harry

Harry Halpin,  University of Edinburgh
http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin 6B522426