RE: Comments on GRDDL (using 3rd-party XML schemas with GRDDL) [OK?]

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 22:34:38 -0400
To: "Harry Halpin" <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Cc: "Jonathan Robie" <jonathan.robie@redhat.com>, "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@acm.org>, "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, "Andrew Eisenberg" <andrew.eisenberg@us.ibm.com>, <public-grddl-comments@w3.org>, <w3c-xsl-query@w3.org>, "Ogbuji, Chimezie" <OGBUJIC@ccf.org>

Harry,

> [ . . . ]
> However, we cannot prevent additional and optional capabilities from
> being added to a GRDDL-aware agent in pursuant with a local
> policy.  [ . . . ]

If I'm understanding you correctly, the intent of your suggested change
is to point out that GRDDL-aware agents can do things that are beyond
what the GRDDL spec licenses -- such as applying a 3rd party
transformation -- but if they do then the RDF results are not guaranteed
to be a Faithful Rendition and for this reason they should not be called
"GRDDL results".  If so, this sounds like a good idea, but I think the
wording change should be a bit more explicit about this.

So how about adding one more sentence to what you suggested, so that the
chnage would read:
[[
For example, a GRDDL-aware agent may have a
security policy that prevents it from accessing GRDDL
transformations
located in untrusted domain names, it may be unable to apply
transformations given in a language it does not support, and it may
feature additional non-normative capabilities such as allowing
transformations to be found in schemas not specified at
the namespace document.  Users should be bear in mind that RDF results
produced using such non-normative capabilities may not represent
a Faithful Rendition, and therefore may not represent conformant GRDDL
results.
]]

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent
the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.