In this document the term HTML is used to refer to the XHTML dialect of HTML [XHTML].

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:50:53 -0400
To: public-grddl-comments@w3.org

A serious editorial note: I find this sentence up front to be surprising
and a little scary:

"In this document the term HTML is used to refer to the XHTML dialect of
HTML [XHTML]."

Editorially, this is wrong and likely to be confusing. If you
specifically mean XHTMl and *not* classic HTML, then you should say at
each occurrence. Please do not attempt to redefine the well-understood
term "HTML" to mean something new.

When I read HTML,  I usually think it includes classic HTML and
well-formed XHTML, but I never think it's only XHTML.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!