Re: Please declare in GRDDL spec that XML validation is not required

Dave Beckett wrote:
> Harry Halpin wrote:
>
>> Actually, as the author of the offending web-page (sorry, it was hacked
>> together by hand in my attempt to learn Embedded RDF - I'll fix it up
>> and package it up with the VCard/RDF note after we get GRDDL to Last
>> Call...), I think the answer is that Raptor is right and GRDDL.py is off.
>>

> OK.  I have restored raptor to validating.

I wouldn't do that if I were you, Dave.

I'm reading/writing in a bit of a rush, so I might have missed
something. But I don't think so...

>> The reason is that while DanC correctly notes we underspecified lots of
>> things, we did not underspecify that a GRDDL transforms XPath nodes to
>> graphs: " If an information resource([WEBARCH]
>> <http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#WEBARCH>, section 2.2) IR is
>> represented by an XML document with an XPath root node R, and R has a
>> GRDDL transformation with a transformation property TP, and TP applied
>> to R gives an RDF Graph G, then G is a GRDDL result of IR." I believe in
>> order to get XPath nodes, once must get an XPath data model: "XPath
>> operates on the abstract, logical structure of an XML document, rather
>> than its surface syntax. This logical structure, known as the *data
>> model*, is defined in [XQuery/XPath Data Model (XDM)]
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/#datamodel>.]" [1]
>>
>> Therefore, if something is not a valid XML document, and Raptor claims
>> that VCard Table is not, then it should not produce any GRDDL results.

Huh? that doesn't follow. An XML document doesn't have to be valid in
order to give
rise to an XPath data model.