Re: GRDDL Spec is not neutral with respect to the mechanism used to extract RDF

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 12:34:02 -0500
To: José Manuel Cantera Fonseca <jmcf@tid.es>
Cc: public-grddl-comments@w3.org

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 11:10 +0200, José Manuel Cantera Fonseca wrote:
> Dear GRDDL WG members,
>
> Reading the GRDDL spec it is not clear to me what will be the
> alternative mechanism to be used when a XSLT sheet is not used for
> extracting RDF from a document. It seems to me that the only option is
> to create a "dummy" XSLT that invokes a URL that actually retrieves or
> generates the RDF.
>

> I think that it could be very useful to have a new attribute with
> "retrieval" semantics and not wih "transformation" semantics. As a
> result, GRDDL will be the standard mechanism in the web used for
> locating the RDF associated to a web page.
>
> Proposed syntax:

>       xmlns:grddl='http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view#'
>       grddl:retrieval="http://www.example.org/jsp/myrdf.jsp"
>  >
> or using the profile-based syntax
>   <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view">
>     <title>Some Document</title>
>
>     <link rel="retrieval"
>        href="http://www.example.org/jsp/myrdf.jsp" />

If I understand you correctly, dereferencing
http://www.example.org/jsp/myrdf.jsp yields RDF that
is an alternative version of the HTML document, yes?

The HTML 4 spec already standardizes a syntax for that:

  <link rel="alternate" href="http://www.example.org/jsp/myrdf.jsp" />

See section 6.12 Link types
  http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-links

Please let us know if this is a satisfactory response to your comment.