Re: a few comments (intro example, foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf)

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 11:57 +0000, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
[...]
> Editorial (praise):
> ==================
>
> I found the following line in the introductory example highly enlightening:
>
> <foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf
> rdf:resource="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King" />
>
> A, somewhat philosophical, issue, that has caused problems to semantic
> web recommendations in the past, is how to relate the formal semantics
> with the real world. I felt that the pointing to the Web that this line
> involves seems to illustrate some of the ideas of
>
> "Clients reading the document can follow their nose " (Primer abstract)
>
> It also seems to illustrate aspects of "Faithful Renditions", which
> perhaps could be made clearer. Typically a faithful rendition will
> involve reference to Web resources which may change under the authors
> feet, and the "faithful rendition" is intended as a best effort, such as
> we typically make when trying to communicate, and isn't going to be
> entirely bullet proof.

I also think foaf:primaryTopic is a really good mechanism; see
my IRW paper:
  A Pragmatic Theory of Reference for the Web
  http://www.w3.org/2006/04/irw65/urisym

But it's not clear that the GRDDL intro is a good place to
make this point. Due to a lack of clarity about
whether Stephen King and company intend
  http://www.stephenking.com/pages/works/stand/
as a URI for the book itself (vs just a page about the book),
recent editorial drafts have switched to an example where
the publisher, MusicBrainz, provides URIs and uses them in RDF/XML.

http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#intro
Revision 1.167  2006/11/29 23:42:36  connolly
replace Stand/King example by Experienced/Henrix
 stop abusing tables for layout; use dl instead

I intend to tweak that example a bit more to include
a URI for the work itself as well as the artist.
But I'm interested to know what you think of this
example, meanwhile.

MusicBrainz also relates artists to wikipedia articles,
but, as far as I can tell, only on HTML pages. I wish
they made those data available in the
RDF/XML that they publish as well.

http://musicbrainz.org/artist/33b3c323-77c2-417c-a5b4-af7e6a111cc9.html
says

The Jimi Hendrix Experience:
has a Discogs page at
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jimi
+Hendrix+Exper… [info]
has a Wikipedia page at en: The Jimi
Hendrix Experience [info]

Perhaps I should ask them for a tweak. Bonus points to anyone
who beats me to it.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E