Re: specifying GRDDL transformation for document with no transformation attribute?

On Thu, October 26, 2006 5:53 am, Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Bob DuCharme wrote:

>> ... we don't want to have to wait for Amazon to add an
>> http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view#transformation attribute to the
>> ProductInfo element returned by their web service (or adding a
>> grddl:namespaceTransformation property to a namespace document) before
>> incorporating that data into an app.
>
> Well, a transformation nominated / defined by the
> producer (in this case) would be more authorative than one nominated by
> consumer
> (especially if the content is in a specific vocabulary), wouldn't you say?

Right, that's why I asked about what to do while waiting for the producer
to do so. Amazon in particular would have less incentive to do this,
because the URL that invokes their web service can include the URL of an
XSLT stylesheet that they will run against the output on one of their own
boxes.[1][2]

In the more general case, though, producers will need to see to see the
value of this approach demonstrated to them before they add something to
their output for the benefit of the RDF heads, so a localized way to
associate remote XML with a particular stylesheet would help to bootstrap
GRDDL to that point by showing the cool things that can be done.

Bob

[1] http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/08/04/tr-xml.html
[2] http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/09/01/tr.html