Re: Minutes for the 2017-06-21 meeting

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Stephen White <steve@adam.com.au> wrote:

> On 28 Jun 2017, at 6:23 am, Corentin Wallez <cwallez@google.com> wrote:
> > As far as I know it is a myth that WebGL code broke because of such
> fixes: all the original WebGL demos still work.
>
> I was referring to the pre 1.0 WebGL code. I remember two incompatible
> changes, and linked to an example in the Github issue.

Steve, which Github issue are you referring to? Could you please post a
link?

It's true that some of WebGL's API signatures changed early on, in
incompatible ways. This was problematic because WebGL 1.0 was enabled by
default in browsers under the "experimental-webgl" context type. Since
then, browser implementers have chosen a better staged rollout plan for new
APIs – only enabling them by default when multiple browsers are passing
conformance tests. If the gpuweb implementations follow this convention,
then early adopters will still be able to try things out, but the backward
compatibility guarantee won't be enforced until everyone's ready to provide
it.

-Ken