Re: Status update

Hi Pierre

Some further comments to what Martin said...

On Thursday, Jul 17, 2003, at 21:36 Europe/Zurich, Martin Duerst wrote:

> Hello Pierre,
>
> Many thanks for your work. Some comments:
>
> - You should just look through Recommendations on the TR page and
>   find those that contain glossaries and try to extract these.
>   Once you have done that, you can then ask for more material,
>   but I would do that on other lists (chairs, specprod,...).
>   For translated glossaries, you should write to
> w3c-translators@w3.org.

Sidar maintains a number of translations in Spanish / Castellano (es -
which has several varieties) and a couple of things in Gallego and
Catalan (2 more of the 4 official languages in Spain).

We would be happy to offer the glossaries from any of those. One that
might be interesting is the translation of the WAI combined glossary
that was done and checked over by the Sidar translator's group - i.e.
we vouch for it being an accurate translation, which we have done for
some but not all of the translations we maintain.

I realise that W3C doesn't authorise translations, but some other
organisations do, at least for their own purposes. Being able to find
out whether a translation had been endorsed by any particular group
would be handy.

> - In particular, I would make sure that you get some terms from
>   very central W3C specifications (e.g. XML) into your repository.
>   For the average user, it will be much more motivating to
>   e.g. select "A" and get "attribute" than to select "A" and
>   get "all WG members".

Yep...

> -  Also, there should be something
>   for French and for English in general. Some actual entries
>   may not be in a specific sublanguage, and, more important,
>   users may not care about the differences for lookup.

Same for Spanish - es-ES and es-AR are actually reasonably different in
their technical vocabularies (Spaniards use a lot more spanish terms
than Argentines, who tend to adopt terms as they find them), but people
speaking spanish are interested in both kinds...

> Keep up your good work!

Yes...

Cheers

Charles