Re: Final Linked Data Glossary (was Re: def'n of resource?)

On 23/05/13 11:35, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> Dave Reynolds <dave.e.reynolds@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm OK with this but I'm confused why we are doing this rewrite at all.
>>
>> The original version on Tim's DesignIssues page [1] seems perfectly
>> usable to me:
>>
>> """
>> 1. Available on the web (whatever format) but with an open licence, to
>> be Open Data
>> 2. Available as machine-readable structured data (e.g. excel instead of
>>
>> image scan of a table)
>> 3. as (2) plus non-proprietary format (e.g. CSV instead of excel)
>> 4. All the above plus, Use open standards from W3C (RDF and SPARQL) to
>> identify things, so that people can point at your stuff
>> 5. All the above, plus: Link your data to other people’s data to
>> provide
>> context
>> """
>>
>> I'm not sure what value is been added by saying the same thing in
>> slightly different words.
>>
>> [OK I know there was some pushback on the mention of excel in #3, I
>> would be OK with deleting "instead of excel" in the interests of side
>> stepping that. But as I say, I guess I'm OK with the versions in this
>> thread too.]
>>

> I can live with Tim's text if excel is changed to "application-dependent xml", but I do find point five in that text very misleading.    Do you consider some RDF to be linked data if the only working URLs are in owl:import or rdfs:seeAlso triples?

(a) No, but there's a sliding scale of completeness.

(b) There is a difference between having working URLs and linking to
other peoples data. You could publish data in which all the URLs
deference but they are in your own namespace. C.f. VoID link sets,
sameas.org etc.  I guess Marios' amendment sort of deals with that.

(c) I find the "to provide context" bit helpful.

(d) I was trying to forestall this email thread by saying "just use the
original version", that's already failed! So in that case I withdraw my
question and, as I've already said, will accept any of the suggestions
in this thread.

Dave