  From:       Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>

  To:         Dave Reynolds <dave.e.reynolds@gmail.com>, public-gld-wg@w3.org

  Date:       23/05/2013 04:04 PM

  Subject:    Re: Final Linked Data Glossary (was Re: def'n of resource?)

Dave Reynolds <dave.e.reynolds@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm OK with this but I'm confused why we are doing this rewrite at all.
>
>The original version on Tim's DesignIssues page [1] seems perfectly
>usable to me:
>
>"""
>1. Available on the web (whatever format) but with an open licence, to
>be Open Data
>2. Available as machine-readable structured data (e.g. excel instead of
>
>image scan of a table)
>3. as (2) plus non-proprietary format (e.g. CSV instead of excel)
>4. All the above plus, Use open standards from W3C (RDF and SPARQL) to
>identify things, so that people can point at your stuff
>5. All the above, plus: Link your data to other people’s data to
>provide
>context
>"""
>
>I'm not sure what value is been added by saying the same thing in
>slightly different words.
>
>[OK I know there was some pushback on the mention of excel in #3, I
>would be OK with deleting "instead of excel" in the interests of side
>stepping that. But as I say, I guess I'm OK with the versions in this
>thread too.]

I can live with Tim's text if excel is changed to "application-dependent
xml", but I do find point five in that text very misleading.    Do you
consider some RDF to be linked data if the only working URLs are in
owl:import or rdfs:seeAlso triples?

      - Sandro

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/gld/raw-file/default/glossary/index.html#uniform-resource-identifier

>.

>new
>found

>[1]https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/gld/raw-file/default/glossary/index.html

>only

>Glossary,

><
file:///home/sandro/Repos/gld/glossary/diff.html#uniform-resource-identifiers

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-04.html#intro.terminology