Re: glossary entry: 5 Star Linked Data

Pursuant to my action item, here are my comments on the 5-star Linked
Data definition bullets...

NOTE: The definitions we use in the Glossary and below are the words
of TBL, added to his Linked Data design note ca 2010
<http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html>

★ make your stuff available on the Web (whatever format) under an open license

* I've always felt the word "stuff" is too cute...
* PROPOSE: Publish your data on the Web in any format accompanied by
an explicit "open license" (expression of rights)

★★ make it available as structured data (e.g., Excel instead of image
scan of a table)

* PROPOSE: Publish your data in a common, structured, machine-readable format

★★★ use non-proprietary formats (e.g., CSV instead of Excel)

* I don't think we need to slam M$FT...
* PROPOSE: Publish your data in a non-proprietary format (e.g. CSV)

★★★★ use URIs to denote things, so that people can point at your stuff
 <= TBL's version
★★★★ Published using open standards from the W3C (RDF and SPARQL) <= GLD version

* PROPOSE: Publish your data using HTTP URIs as (resolveable) names
for things; when someone (or something) looks up a URI, return useful
information based on W3C standards (including RDF, XML, SPARQL)

★★★★★ link your data to other data to provide context <= TBL's version
★★★★★ All of the above and links to other Linked Open Data <= GLD version

* PROPOSE: Include links (URIs) to other Linked (Open) Data in your
published data

Iterate on that...

--
John S. Erickson, Ph.D.