Re: DCAT Last Call issues: additional rules for skos:Concept

On 25 Mar 2013, at 16:03, "Makx Dekkers" <makx@makxdekkers.com> wrote:
> I would like a clarification of the usage note at http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-vocab-dcat-20130312/#class-category-and-category-scheme.
>
> It seems to me that DCAT, as a base specification, should keep away from declaring properties mandatory as such recommendations would depend on the requirements of a particular application.

There is no mandatory property. The dcat:theme property is optional. The only requirement is that the subject of dcat:theme have an associated concept scheme.

>  Moreover, according to the SKOS specification “there are no conditions preventing a SKOS concept from taking part in zero, one, or more than one concept scheme” (http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#L1101) so I would think that DCAT can’t require that skos:inScheme or skos:topConceptOf is mandatory on every skos:Concept.

DCAT doesn't require it of every skos:Concept. It requires it of the objects of dcat:theme only.

Best,
Richard