Re: Request for pre-review of Linked Data Glossary

Suggestions for the remainder ...

 > 39. Hash URI Strategy

Suggested rewrite:

[[[
Hash URI Pattern

In creating and publishing Linked Data a key design decision is the
pattern of URIs to use for the resources in the data. One aspect of that
decision is whether to use "hash" URIs (URIs which end in a '#fragid'
fragment identifier) or "slash" URIs (no fragment identifier). Hash URIs
offer a simple way to separate the URI for the thing from the URL for a
data document describing the thing. They are convenient when publishing
small files of resources (e.g. small vocabularies) but limit
implementation options and extensibility (because the fragment
identifier is never seen by the data server).
See also [Slash URI Pattern]
]]]

In which case also add:

[[[
Slash URI Pattern

In creating and publishing Linked Data a key design decision is the
pattern of URIs to use for the resources in the data. One aspect of that
decision is whether to use "hash" URIs (URIs which end in a '#fragid'
fragment identifier) or "slash" URIs (no fragment identifier). Slash
URIs provide maximum flexibility since the data server will see the full
URI when it is dereferenced.
]]]

 > 43. Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)

s/had/has/

or

s/had defined/defines and maintains/

 > 44. Inference

Suggested rephrase:

s/To infer something is to create a new relationship./Inference is the
process of deriving logical conclusions from a set of starting assumptions./

 > 48. Linked Data

Suggested rephrase:

[[[
Linked data refers to a set of best practices for creating, publishing
and announcing structured data on the Web. See [Linked Data Principles].
Linked Data typically makes use of the RDF family of standards for data
interchange (RDF/XML, Turtle) and query (SPARQL). Linked Data can be
published by a person or organization behind the firewall or on the
public Web. If Linked Data is published on the public Web, it is
generally called Linked Open Data.
]]]

 > 50. Linked Data Principles

Suggest deleting the last sentence, viz:

[[[
Linked Data Principles provide a common API for data on the Web which is
more convenient than many separately and differently designed APIs
published by individual data suppliers.
]]]

I understand what it's saying, and there's some truth in there. But
follow-your-nose linked data is not a sufficient API. If it were we
wouldn't need the Linked Data Platform and LDA.

 > 52. Linked Open Data Cloud

Suggest

s/datasets/interconnected datasets/

I think that's a defining feature of the LOD Cloud.

 > Linking Open Data Project

I think this is supposed to be a new entry but is currently a run-on
paragraph of "Linking Government Data"

 > 55. Machine Readable Data

This doesn't seem to actually say what Machine Readable Data is, maybe
that's too obvious.

The example talks about machine and human readable data from the same
page but uses *different* pages (wikipedia v. dbpedia).

How about:

[[[
Machine readable data is data that is available in a format which a
machine can usefully interpret and process. For example, if a set of
figures is given in a table in a PDF file or an HTML page then it can be
transmitted and displayed but can't be easily processed. Screen-scraping
techniques may be able to reconstruct the tabular data from the
formatted page but they are fragile and inconvenient. For this reason
publishing data in a machine readable format qualifies for two-stars on
the 5-star scale.
]]]

 > 63. Ontology

Suggested rewrite:

[[[
An ontology is a formal model of a domain. It describes the types of
things that exist (classes), the relationships between them (properties)
and the logical ways those classes and properties can be used together
(axioms). The OWL (Web Ontology Language) family of languages provide a
standardized-means for expressing and exchanging ontologies. It builds
upon, and is compatible with, RDF.
]]]

 > 66. Open World

s/external work/external world/

 > 69. Persistent Identifier Scheme

Has a spurious ">"

 > 70. Predicate

Suggested rephrase:

[[[
The predicate is the second part of an RDF statement and gives the
property which connects the subject of the statement to the object of
the statement. Thus in the informal statement "Alice knows Bob" then
"knows" is the predicate which connects "Alice" (the subject of the
statement) to "Bob" (the object of the statement). The term predicate
derives from predicate calculus. In RDF we use the terms predicate (for
the role) and property (for the thing that plays that role) regardless
of whether the value of the property is a simple literal or some other
resource.
]]]

 > 74. Quad Store

Suggest adding:

[[[
This notion has been clarified and standardized in SPARQL in the form of
/RDF Datasets/.
]]]

 > 76. Raw Data

That's very contentious, suggest dropping this entry.

[The issue is that to a statistician "raw data" is observed data that
has not yet been aggregated, analysed and validated. In that world
releasing raw data without extreme care to qualify it is correctly
regarded as professional bad practice. Given how much government data
falls in the area of statistics then a huge amount of confusion,
antagonism and justified horror was caused by the cry of "raw data now".
Government statistical authorities go to a lot of trouble and have legal
statutory obligations on what data standards have to be met by releases
of statistical data.]

 > 83. RDF-JSON

That reference is *not* a W3C recommendation (to my great sadness) it is
an editor's draft which I don't think is progressing anywhere. Instead
W3C is doing json-ld.

Probably the best thing is to drop this entry.

[Though part of me wants it to stay in just as it is :)]

 > 84. RDF Schema

s/schema language/vocabulary language/

 > 90. Schema

Given how much people confuse schemas, logical data models and
ontologies then I'm not happy with the statement that an ontology is a
form a schema.

However, I don't know enough about why schema is on this list and what
you mean by schema in this context to offer a rephrase.

Any chance of just dropping it?

 > 94. Semantic Web Standards

Add SPARQL.

 > 99. SPARQL

The SPARQL 1.1 reference link is broken.

 > 106. Triple

s/a verb, or//

[A predicate is not necessarily a verb-like-thing, it is at least as
often an adjective-like-thing.]

[Technically a triple is not the "smallest possible RDF graph". An RDF
graph is defined as a set of statements and the smallest set is the
empty set. But that probably sounds like splitting hairs so I don't mind
that bit staying :)]

 > 109. Turtle

s/as,/as/

Dave