Re: Resolving ISSUE-54, relationship of DCAT to VoID

Phil,

On 8 Mar 2013, at 12:15, Phil Archer wrote:
> The proposal says that DCAT will include
>
> * an informative reference to VoID,
> * a brief explanation of the difference in scope between both vocabularies,
> * a pointer to a place that talks about the relationship in more detail, which would ideally be an updated VoID spec.
>
> Which seems right. However, do you or Fadi have some suggested text?

Yes. It was in the email and actually very hard to miss! Let me repeat it:

PROPOSAL: Resolve ISSUE-54 by adding the following text to the DCAT introduction:

[[
Data can come in many formats, ranging from spreadsheets over XML and RDF to various speciality formats. DCAT does not make any assumptions about the format of the datasets described in a catalog. Other, complementary vocabularies may be used together with DCAT to provide more detailed format-specific information. For example, properties from the VoID vocabulary [[VoID]] can be used to express various statistics about a DCAT-described dataset if that dataset is in RDF format.
]]

In short, your proposed text says: "VoID is for linked data, DCAT is for catalogs". My proposed text says: "VoID is for data in RDF format, DCAT is neutral with regards to format." Is this acceptable to you? It would avoid John's objection.

Best,
Richard