AW: [QB] Last Call document draft

Hi,

Impressive work. I have one larger comment and a list of smaller comments to the new QB spec version.

Larger feedback:

==10.2 Hierarchical code lists==
* For OLAP on QB [1], I use hierarchy levels of increasing detail as first class citizens in the data, e.g., to give them a name such as "Product Brand". Therefore, I am using XKOS for representing hierarchy levels (xkos:ClassificationLevel, subclass of skos:Collection) [2].
* Here, I would still use skos:narrower to define relationships between skos:Concepts.
* However, I would connect those concepts via skos:member to separate xkos:ClassificationLevels, each having a xkos:depth, and would then connect those xkos:ClassificationLevels via skos:inScheme to the code list.
* Also, I would not declare skos:topConcept but rather define the top concepts via an upmost level (depth 0 or 1).
* I want to make sure that I still comply with the vocabulary and do "not use terms from other vocabularies instead of ones defined in this vocabulary that could reasonably be used".
* Thus, my question: Can publishers still reuse XKOS together with QB? I think, we should allow and clarify this. For instance, this could mean to allow that skos:Collections are connected to a code list instead of using skos:hasTopConcept.

[1] <http://code.google.com/p/olap4ld/>
[2] <https://github.com/linked-statistics/xkos>

Minor feedback:

* 2.1: "using the the W3C" (double the)
* 5.2: Maybe call this section "Introducing slices" or similar to distinguish it from Section 9
* 7.1: "In particular, is sometimes" (should be "it is sometimes")
* 7.1: "To cater for this a component can also be optionally annotated with a qb:codeList to indicate a set of skos:Concepts which may be used as codes." (do we allow to have non-coded DimensionProperties?)
* 7.2: "has developed, and maintains, RDF encodings of these guidelines" (rephrase: "has developed that maintains RDF encodings of these guidelines")
* 7.3: Explicitly mention prefix "interval" and "admingeo" in prose before having it used in the turtle (interval:Interval and admingeo:UnitaryAuthority). Have a reference to the data.gov.uk reference time service.
* 7.4: "every observation then the specification should set ." (incomplete sentence, should finish with "qb:coponentRequired", probably)
* 7.4: "The qb:componentRequired> declaration" (the ">" is not needed)
* 7.4: "It can also be useful in the publication chain to enable synthesis of appropriate URIs for observations." (unclear, you mean qb:order as a kind of code for a dimension?)
* 7.5.1: "Note that one limitation of the multi-measure approach is that it is not possible to attach an attribute to a single observed value." (Is there not also the following limitation: Since measures defined in data structure definitions are always "required", all multiple measures need to be set in every observation. If IC-17 does say otherwise, we should explain it here.)
* 7.5.2: "SMDX-in-RDF extension vocabulary" (reference is missing)
* 7.5.2: "which subsumes each of the individual measures, those individual measures are used directly." (difficult to understand, please rephrase)
* 9: Section structure could be better balanced, here. How about having "8.2 Slices and general groups of observations" instead of "9. Slices"?
* 10.1: "Explicitly declaring the code list using qb:codeList is not mandatory" (What exactly does that mean? Using qb:codeList is not mandatory in general or in case an rdfs:range is set? Put differently, can we give a ranking of how to best model coded values: 1) Use qb:codeList and rdfs:range 2) Use qb:codeList 3) use rdfs:range?)
* 10.2: "code lists lists should" (double lists)
* 10.3: "or then they form a complete cover of the parent concept" (should be "when they")
* 10.3: "The Data Cube vocabulary supports this situation through the qb:HierarchicalCodeList class. An instance of qb:HierarchicalCodeList defines a set of root concepts in the hierarchy (qb:hierarchyRoot) and a parent-to-child relationship (qb:parentChildProperty)." (Do I understand correctly, that qb:HierarchicalCodeList is the non-SKOS pendant to skos:ConceptScheme, qb:hierarchyRoot to skos:hasTopConcept and the property defined by qb:parentChildProperty to skos:narrower. If so, I think we should clarify that. Also, I think, we should back up "parent-to-child relationship" with a reference of what it means.
* 10.3 - example 16: "qb:hierarchy Root" (should be qb:hierarchyRoot)
* 11: No mentioning of DCAT?
* 11.1: "where eg:Wales is a skos:Concept drawn" (eg:Wales not found in example 18)
* 12: "For illustration see example 4 in which" (link to example 4 does not work)
* IC-6: "The only components of a qb:DataStructureDefinition that may be marked as optional, using qb:componentRequired are attributes. " (Since in 7.4 we say "In the absence of such a declaration an attribute is assumed to be optional.", will this test work?)
* 14.7: "might an qb:DataSet, qb:Slice or qb:Observation, or a qb:MeasureProperty" (1) verb "be" is missing 2) Why is this union not formalised in the range?)
* 14.7: "component is a attribute." ("an attribute")
* 14.6: "Defines/indicates" (editorial comment: We sometimes start with an upper case letter, sometimes with a lower case letter. Should be consistent)

Best,

Benedikt