Re: Classification of open datasets...

Hi Phil, all

also would like to jump in here - I do NOT believe either that we will find
a taxonomy et al that the whole world will use to categorise / to classify
open data sets globally - e.g. in Austria we have specified 14 categories that were already used
in eGovernment here in Austria (before we started open data) - see: http://reference.e-government.gv.at/uploads/media/OGD-Metadaten_2_1_2012_10.pdf
(Page 27 - document is in German language but these categories are also translated to EN language)
- we also tried a first mapping to publicdata..eu as well as EN ISO 19115

Also Eurovoc (or the mentioned NACE codes) are interesting approaches -
but cover only a part of the whole picture...

Also (E)government in e.g. Austria works differently then in e.g. Czech Republic
and our classification schemes are different - and we do have different languages,...

AND: in a time of Linked (Open) Data it is good to re-use an existing classification scheme
(e.g. Eurovoc as a starting point in EU is great for sure, as it is already in use and also already translated)
BUT: if someone does NOT use such a common 'list of categories' or has the need to expand his categorisation system
then we can link our approaches (making use of LOD principles) and thereby align our 'terminologies = classification schemes'
and thereby we are able to understand each other again (means: the machines understand our several classification schemes ;)...

Such an alignment is (hard) work for sure - but worth doing - so that for example US open data sets
can be easily found and compared with UK data sets, Austrian data sets etc.....

We here at SWC have started to build a small open data SKOS Thesaurus some time ago that is / can be linked to
other thesauri / taxonomies easily - see: http://vocabulary.semantic-web.at/OpenData.html
(Also published using ADMS: http://vocabulary.semantic-web.at/OpenData/adms/0.3)

This is only a demo (only a few concepts in it and some links to DBpedia established) -
but it shows the principle and could (when built properly) be a good basis for categorisation / tagging of open data sets...

Maybe this helps the discussion - cheers - martin

--
Martin Kaltenböck, CMC
Managing Partner, CFO

Semantic Web Company (SWC)