Re: [dcat] issue 26 - range of dcterms:language - proposal

On 31 Jan 2013, at 20:54, Makx Dekkers wrote:
> - Maybe it can be noted in the resolution text that Library of Congress
> is the Registration Authority for ISO639-2, to pre-empt any questions
> about the authoritativeness of the URIs

Should certainly be mentioned in the spec text.

> - Alternative suggestion for the sentence "The iso639-1 codes should be
> preferred, and iso639-2 codes used only when no iso639-1 code is
> available for a language":
>
> "If a ISO639-1 URI is defined for a language, that URI must be used; if
> no ISO639-1 URI is defined, the ISO639-2 URI must be used." (referring
> to URIs not codes)

Yes, this phrasing is much clearer.

I believe that strictly speaking, ISO 639 defines only codes, not URIs. How about this:

"If a ISO 639-1 (two-letter) code is defined for language, then its corresponding URI MUST be used; if no ISO 639-1 code is defined, then URI corresponding to the ISO 639-2 (three-letter) code MUST be used."

Also, s/URI/IRI/ , and we'll have to see about MUST vs SHOULD in the context of the entire spec fragment -- using non-LoC URIs should still be allowed.

Best,
Richard